Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying a Disco - Are they as unreliable as they say?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thinking of buying a Disco - Are they as unreliable as they say?

Well, on a D2, removing just one valve cover means removing the intake first. So with all the money spent in this truck to bring it to like new condition, anyone asking me to remove a valve cover can just basically s... my...cheerios.

I've recently played with the idea of selling mine, but I think it just ain't fair that after spending all that money and time on my D2, a darn lucky soul would get a showroom condition discovery for next to nothing (compared to what its worth now that absolutely nothing has to be done). And knowing that I own one of the few Coniston green D2 ever made cause they had to be custom ordered and weren'ta color option for the D2( apparently 2 in North America and a fist full in Europe, So Rover says anyway....makes kinda special to me)

http://apu.mabul.org/up-mini/apu/200...111261ry6r.jpg

Search it well, take your time and put it in your mind that unless you convince me to sell you mine or a few others on this site, the few grand$$$ in the first few months is not an urban legend, its a fact for the exact reasons listed by Spike.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Dont waste your money on a extended warrenty, they are pretty much worthless and any finacial adviser worth his/her weight will tell you the same thing. There is so much fine print that you will never get them to cover anything.
Take the money for the warrenty and put it into a money market account, if you need it it is there, if not then roll it into your IRA.
If you cannot afford the 2-3 thousand that the warrenty would cost then open a money market account with $50 and make payments to yourself.
Not to mention that a $2,000 warrenty financed over 5 years will cost you a hell of alot more than $2,000. And you cant sell a warrenty. And if you finace a warrenty you will be upside down in your auto loan before you know it. And if you get in a accident and the insurance totals it they will only pay what it is worth not what you owe.
So, dont waste your money.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Darover
Well, on a D2, removing just one valve cover means removing the intake first. So with all the money spent in this truck to bring it to like new condition, anyone asking me to remove a valve cover can just basically s... my...cheerios.
I've recently played with the idea of selling mine, but I think it just ain't fair that after spending all that money and time on my D2, a darn lucky soul would get a showroom condition discovery for next to nothing (compared to what its worth now that absolutely nothing has to be done). And knowing that I own one of the few Coniston green D2 ever made cause they had to be custom ordered and weren'ta color option for the D2( apparently 2 in North America and a fist full in Europe, So Rover says anyway....makes kinda special to me)
Search it well, take your time and put it in your mind that unless you convince me to sell you mine or a few others on this site, the few grand$$$ in the first few months is not an urban legend, its a fact for the exact reasons listed by Spike.
The DI's are the same, one valve cover require removal of the intake while the other doesn't. Guess which one I wouldask to be removed? I know what I'm suggesting could be considered out the normal. But if any seller (private or dealer) steps up to the plate and agrees to this procedure, that alone is worth a lot. To the original poster,you'll be silly tocome on a LR forum, ask about LR's and not expect answers like what you're getting.As you are aware, LR's has gotten a bad repretation over the years. Rather it's due to lack of maintenanceorquality of material. It's something and prospective buyer should know.Just like any other vehicle, I'm pretty sureLR's are quite reliable once properly maintained.Some will say if you're mechanically incline go for it, but if you're not, you might want to pass on a particular LR. I couldn't agree more.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Darover

And knowing that I own one of the few Coniston green D2 ever made cause they had to be custom ordered and weren'ta color option for the D2( apparently 2 in North America and a fist full in Europe, So Rover says anyway....makes kinda special to me)

Nice! I love that color.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly, I forgot to mention that. That isa nice color. If what you're saying is correct, you should feel proud to be one of only 2 in North America with this color.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:33 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my '96 for3 yrs. in August and just like any used vehicle I took a chance. It had bad
Springs and shocks, bald tires, broken center console and halfthe tint was peeled off[:'(]. Now knowing I was taking a chance I took it. The trk sounded great and there wasnt alot of fluid
dripping from everywhere.
The wife thought I was crazy at first,but we knew we were going to end up with a nice vehicle when all was said and done. I spent the 1st 6mnths going through it and we are glad we did. I have had several other makes of 4x4s' and by far this has been the best one yet.

As far as gas mileage, she's tuned in right and gets 14city/19hwy and riding in style

Old 06-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Dont waste your money on a extended warrenty, they are pretty much worthless and any finacial adviser worth his/her weight will tell you the same thing. There is so much fine print that you will never get them to cover anything.
Take the money for the warrenty and put it into a money market account, if you need it it is there, if not then roll it into your IRA.
If you cannot afford the 2-3 thousand that the warrenty would cost then open a money market account with $50 and make payments to yourself.
Not to mention that a $2,000 warrenty financed over 5 years will cost you a hell of alot more than $2,000. And you cant sell a warrenty. And if you finace a warrenty you will be upside down in your auto loan before you know it. And if you get in a accident and the insurance totals it they will only pay what it is worth not what you owe.
So, dont waste your money.
I would Disagree. I just bought My Discovery ll 02 04/10/08 55K, was purchased at a toyata dealership 178 miles away from my residence.. I purchased the Toyata ExtraCare warranty 2-year 24K $3100.00 I just got it out of my locals mechanics shop. Alternator replaced $644.26 MAF replaced $220.54 Oxygen Sensor replaced $91.91 labor $70.00 to Diag $35.00 for MAF $42.00 O2 $63.00 Alternator Total labor $210.00 TOTAL bill $1166.71. The Toyata Warrany paid for the repair with a CC the day the work order was summited and parts took 7 days to get there(All landRover original's). Hard to beat that kind of service with less of 2 months of ownership,and alreadyI am a 1/3 into the purchase price.

Buy the warranty the most comprehensive one they offer. you will not be sorry, read the fine print and be prudent.

I have no idea how reliabe this LR will be , but i just finished the 60K service my self at a cost of $567.34 and will do all the service need ahead of schedule and can only hope this LR serves me well. I came from a Mitusubushi Montero owning it 10 years and it lever left me stranded.

P.S On the Montero,I had the enigine replaced(under a warranty contract)with factory parts same mechanicI use now 3 years into my ownership of the montero, it blue smoke, ran and drove fine, had carboned up oil control rings, I had to argue alittle bit with the warranty company over factory Specifications and provide maintance records(I save EVERYTHING)but in the end they paid for the motor $4700.00.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:12 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is cool that toyota didn't give you any hassle about paying the bill, but $3,100 is kind of pricy for a warranty. That's more than half what I paid for my disco.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: NiteTrain

That is cool that toyota didn't give you any hassle about paying the bill, but $3,100 is kind of pricy for a warranty. That's more than half what I paid for my disco.
I am pretty sure i will get my Moneys worth and then some.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Mudding

My take on the whole situation is that automobiles are hit or miss no matter what make you decide on. Some people have Rover's for 200,000 miles with little problems while others have them for 40,000 and have a butt load of things go wrong. The same is true for all cars. Now that being said, statistically speaking, there is a better probability that you will get a LR with problems over lets say a Toyota. Nothing is certain so its hard to say whether or not the one you pick up will be reliable, but you will be taking a greater risk with a Discovery over a 4Runner.

So, the end all of eveything is that if you arent prepared to absolutely love your LR even if it does let you down now and again then I would suggest going with a different make. These trucks can get pretty annoying with all the things that can go wrong, so if you are simply getting it because you like lets say the looks, then I dont believe it is the truck for you.

As a side note, the people on this forum love LRs, and I am a part of that crew, so its hard to get an unbiased opinion here.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a Disco - Are they as unreliable as they say?