Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of trading up to discoII

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of trading up to discoII

So I currently have a 98 disco that i love, but have always liked how the discoII models seem to keep their "newer" look. There's a 2004 SE for sale, and I wanted to ask if that year has the same "faulty" front drive shaft like the earlier II series' and if the three amigos are common with this year as well. I don't know much about the II series other than the fore-mentioned, and K&N air filters are a big no-no on these. Also, doesn't the 2004 models come with the CDL? Any other advise on the II series, or these specific year model is appreciated thanks

herb
98 disco

Old 06-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Why in the hell would you want a DII?
You sure as hell better keep your DI because you will want to be driving something reliable.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=26352

The ONLY difference the '04 has is the factory installed CDL.

Now also keep in mind we have had 2 '04's blow up a engine so far this year and countless '03's.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Mudding

ya, i just read VANDEV's post about his 04's blown motor....

Old 06-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Team Owner

Sorry to say but the quality control was very sub par.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default listen to them...

Originally Posted by herblatham
So I currently have a 98 disco that i love, but have always liked how the discoII models seem to keep their "newer" look. There's a 2004 SE for sale, and I wanted to ask if that year has the same "faulty" front drive shaft like the earlier II series' and if the three amigos are common with this year as well. I don't know much about the II series other than the fore-mentioned, and K&N air filters are a big no-no on these. Also, doesn't the 2004 models come with the CDL? Any other advise on the II series, or these specific year model is appreciated thanks

herb
98 disco

Listen to spike... It's a big newer POS... There is nothing wrong it ...that is unless you can spend about 10k to put a powerplant that will work and not grenade on you...I didnt drive it long enough to deal with all the other issues but i assume there is a boatload....

Old 07-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Check out this series I Discovery. I would take this one over my series II.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2899524

Willie

Old 07-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

First think of this..

A discovery 1 is worth what these days, 5,000 max? Probably 2,000 trade in..

Just get a D2 and keep the D1 you wont miss the 2000$ you saved [lost]

Old 07-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
First think of this..

A discovery 1 is worth what these days, 5,000 max? Probably 2,000 trade in..

Just get a D2 and keep the D1 you wont miss the 2000$ you saved [lost]

If you can swing it and keep the d1 then this would be the best of both worlds.

I like my dII, could have got either when i was shopping for a Disco and went with the II for the size, looks, more refined inside and i spent 20 years with Lucas electrics, Not saying the Dii stuff from Bosh is that much better but i wanted to move away from the prince of darkness.

If D2's were as as bad as some people say then you should be able to get them for next to nothing, but i guess the tens of thousands of people that have them seem to disagree they are crap and explode every 5 miles as some would have you believe.

The 3 amigos are an easy fix most of the time, its a sensor or a dry joint and if you can spin a wrench you can fix both in a few hours. Worst case you just end up without ABS.

Its a very personal choice and in the end you'll be the one that needs to be happy with what you got or did not get. Again if you can swing both you have the best of both worlds.

Yes the 04's should have the CDL too from what i read. I added it to my 99.

Its not an apples to apples to comparison so watch out for people who will tell you one is better than another when you have not said what you'll be doing in it or what your long term plans are.

Dave

Old 07-01-2010, 08:34 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You could bash the DII all day, but the reality is, these are Land Rovers, they all have quirks and issues. Of course DI owners will tell you not to get one, everyone on here is bias to what they own. Most the DI owners have never even owned a DII to even consider the comparison truly fair. That's why I'd never tell someone to get a DI over a DII, because I've never owned a DI.

I do own a DII and I can tell you my DII has never left me stranded anywhere. I had one issue with it in the first month of ownership. Since then, i've changed the oil and done basic maintainence. Just be sure to buy one thats been taken care of if you consider a DII.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
You could bash the DII all day, but the reality is, these are Land Rovers, they all have quirks and issues. Of course DI owners will tell you not to get one, everyone on here is bias to what they own. Most the DI owners have never even owned a DII to even consider the comparison truly fair. That's why I'd never tell someone to get a DI over a DII, because I've never owned a DI.
I have driven every Land Rover except 4, a Series, a RRC, Defender and the LR4, I will be driving one of them this summer.
Yes I have even driven a RR and a RRSport.
I REALLY like the new RR and would buy one in a heart beat as long as I did not have to pay for repairs.
I like the DII as a driver and the looks, but being realistic there is no way I would own one unless it was a TD5.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading up to discoII