Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Third bad power steering pump - this time for a different reason.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 10:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 423 Likes on 269 Posts
Default Third bad power steering pump - this time for a different reason.

Mildly infuriating. Finished the install and went to final tighten the pulley …the bolt just spun …because threads weren’t cut into the flange on this new pump.

I guess just a reminder to check the simple things beforehand?

Third pump since May 8th. Still can’t get one that works.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:34 AM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Same luck here, I can't seem to get a hold of one that doesn't scream. All the air bleeding on earth won't stop the noise, and I think it finally may be time to spring for the OEM Hobourn pump that AB sells.

Rhys L.

Old 08-11-2021, 03:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,431 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Do you guys have the one that came off? Just rebuild it, they are super simple devices that basically don't wear out (ok, very rarely wear out with super high mileage). 9 times out of ten it is just a leaking gasket. I must have repaired 20 at least.

Old 08-11-2021, 04:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 151 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Do you guys have the one that came off? Just rebuild it, they are super simple devices that basically don't wear out (ok, very rarely wear out with super high mileage). 9 times out of ten it is just a leaking gasket. I must have repaired 20 at least.
you just use some RTV silicon or something else?

Old 08-11-2021, 06:42 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by tnrangerover
you just use some RTV silicon or something else?
No that absolutely won't work. I put a new gasket on and coat it with the hi torque silicone both sides in a very thin coat. Put the cover on and bolts in finger snug only. Let it cure 24 hrs. Then torque to spec. Front bearing is sealed, rarely wears out, if you have any play in it with the back off it is worn out, front seal is behind that bearing. If the front bearing is worn out you need a press to get it apart but nothing more complicated than 1 seal and 1 bearing.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (12-01-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 08:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 151 Likes on 95 Posts

No that absolutely won't work. I put a new gasket on and coat it with the hi torque silicone both sides in a very thin coat. Put the cover on and bolts in finger snug only. Let it cure 24 hrs. Then torque to spec. Front bearing is sealed, rarely wears out, if you have any play in it with the back off it is worn out, front seal is behind that bearing. If the front bearing is worn out you need a press to get it apart but nothing more complicated than 1 seal and 1 bearing.
ah I didn’t realize you could order the gasket. Looks like I’ll be resealing my old OEM one for a spare

Old 08-12-2021, 11:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 423 Likes on 269 Posts

The impeller on mine launched out the front. I’m too angry at it to rebuild.

Old 08-12-2021, 04:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Both pumps l changed recently...were gasket issues on back plate.

Old 11-30-2021, 04:25 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am ready to launch my Disco off a cliff after pulling the power steering pump half a dozen times in the last 6 months. I tried rebuilding it 3 times and it would not stop leaking so we suspected a warped housing. First pump purchased arrived DOA. Second pump purchased lasted 6 months, it looks like the pulley is out of line by about 1/8" so the belt ends up riding on the guide and this led to a failed belt.

I see ​​​​​@Extinct is recommending a rebuild technique that I haven't tried, maybe I should get one from a wrecker, buy a new gasket and then try his method. Any other suggestions? Has anyone else seen a new pump that does not line up with the belt?

I replaced all my injectors and removed my cats at the same time and the engine is running better than ever, if it wasn't for this annoying power steering issue I would be pretty happy with this old girl.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this, it has been very frustrating.

Old 11-30-2021, 05:55 PM
Camel Trophy

What happened to the original pump? Do you still have it? Three main leak paths on the original ZF pump:

1. Rear cover thin mylar gasket - defies reason why they used that POS but causes 90% of leaks
2. Cracked rear cover - thin aluminum cover is known to crack if not tightened slowly and evenly. Maybe 5% of leaks.
3. High pressure hose o-ring at the pump. 3% of leaks
4. Front shaft seal - never fails until the front bearing fails (sealed bearing) which does not happen until north of 200k miles. Maybe 2% of leaks.

I can walk you through the rebuild if you still have your old pump.

Quick Reply: Third bad power steering pump - this time for a different reason.