Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those of you who have rebuilt your drive shafts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you who have rebuilt your drive shafts...

How long did the rebuild last? I've been doing some research and apparently there is an issue with the center ball kit stud causing failure in the rebuilds.

Some people have gone with Tom Woods...but I have been reading that Tom Woods isn't that great for highway driving.

Thoughts? Yes, I've been quite upset on the forum as of late. To be honest, I'm probably fixing it up to trade it in. It's getting to be too much.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:43 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Tom Woods and do not notice any vibrations over 75mph.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Going on two years, 1 re-balance but all is good.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you are going to trade in Erma then I would just buy a used driveshaft, slap it on and trade her in Annie.
You can get a used one for under $100 shipped to you if you know where to look.
www.autosportsunlimited.com
www.car-part.com
www.roverlandparts.com
Also check e-bay and Craigslist for someone parting out a DII.
Check local salvage yards too.
I got one from a You-Wrench-It place in Holland for $25, another $15 for shipping.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
If you are going to trade in Erma then I would just buy a used driveshaft, slap it on and trade her in Annie.
You can get a used one for under $100 shipped to you if you know where to look.
www.autosportsunlimited.com
www.car-part.com
www.roverlandparts.com
Also check e-bay and Craigslist for someone parting out a DII.
Check local salvage yards too.
I got one from a You-Wrench-It place in Holland for $25, another $15 for shipping.
Would that mean I'd be getting another bad drive shaft? Are there any DII shafts that would fit my Disco that never needed to be rebuilt?

Old 01-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AnnelieseMae
Would that mean I'd be getting another bad drive shaft? Are there any DII shafts that would fit my Disco that never needed to be rebuilt?
You are going to trading it in so what do you care?
If you are going to keep it for 6 months or more than either have yours rebuilt again, buy a cheap used one and have it rebuilt or buy a trusted aftermarket one.
If you are going to get rid of the truck sooner then just drop in a $100 drive shaft and let the next guy worry about it.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Mudding

I don't know how quickly I'll be trading it in since I've got several hundred more dollars in repairs that need to be made before doing so. Unfortunately I feel like stuff keeps adding and the list keeps getting bigger...so maybe I should bite it and fix all that I can before something major happens again.
I've got to fix the front passenger side window regulator, back passenger side door actuator, and my rear sunroof. All broken.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AnnelieseMae
Not sure why everyone seems to agonize over this so much. I took mine to a regular ol' driveline shop and asked them to rebuild the shaft with new greaseable parts throughout. Cost me $250 installed and it sounded like the guy had done a dozen of them in the past year. I grease it and check it for freeplay at oil change time and don't worry much about it. As a preventative measure I'll probably spend the $250 again at the 125K mark, at which time I'll have 75K miles on the rebuilt shaft. Or maybe I won't. But I can live with that every 4-5 years for peace of mind.

Best,
Dave

Old 01-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by geotrash
Not sure why everyone seems to agonize over this so much. I took mine to a regular ol' driveline shop and asked them to rebuild the shaft with new greaseable parts throughout. Cost me $250 installed and it sounded like the guy had done a dozen of them in the past year. I grease it and check it for freeplay at oil change time and don't worry much about it. As a preventative measure I'll probably spend the $250 again at the 125K mark, at which time I'll have 75K miles on the rebuilt shaft. Or maybe I won't. But I can live with that every 4-5 years for peace of mind.

Best,
Dave
I did this...had a driveline shop rebuild it and it failed. It failed after less then a year when I had it rebuilt. It failed after less then 10,000 miles. If it had lasted 75,000 I would not be complaining. I'm not going to get this thing rebuilt every 10,000 miles. I've read posts where the center ball kit failed in less than 500 miles and the owners had to rebuild.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Team Owner

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pric...uizConditions=

Well look at it this way Annie.
If you trade it in right now and it is considered fair condition because of what needs to be fixed according to KBB.com it is worth $6900.
If you fix everything and it is considered good condition then it is worth $7700.
Thats a difference of $800.
What is it going to cost you to bring it up to good condition?
$350 for a Tom Woods drive shaft.
Another $200 for a used door lock actuator and a window regulator and who know for the sun roof.
So you are probably looking at breaking even at best if you fix everything.
If it is drivable and you want her gone then start shopping for your next ride.
Trade her in and walk away and dont look back.
From a $$ stand point you would be better off to drive it to a lot as is and trade it in.
You will not get better than good condition trade in value from a dealer no matter how nice the truck is.
But do your research and find out how much she is actually worth.
Go to www.kbb.com
www.nada.com
www.edmunds.com and look up resale and trade in values on all three.
Print the pages and put them in your purse, when they tell you the truck is only worth $2000 because of what needs to be fixed you can pull those out and say "well now Mr. used car salesman..."
And also look up other '03's that are for sale, see whats wrong with them and how much they are asking for them and use that to your advantage.
"well a '03 with a check engine light and ABS warning lights on 50 miles from here is selling for (X), my truck is in better shape than that so I expect no less than (Y) if you want my business"
Remember, used car sales are not going well in this economy so you have the power and do not be afraid to use it.

Quick Reply: For those of you who have rebuilt your drive shafts...