Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this Aluminum radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 12:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on this Aluminum radiator

Hey everyone - So I will be doing a full cooling system flush and cleanup and I wanted to replace my Radiator instead of getting it rodded and cleaned out.

I would rather put a little extra money into something that does not have plastic and is nice and fresh.

What are your thoughts on this radiator - Aluminum Radiator Fit Land Rover Discovery MK2 II L318 LJ Lt 4 0L 4 6L V8 98 04 | eBay

thanks!

Old 08-23-2016, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,244 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Looks pretty decent! Worth a shot!

Old 08-23-2016, 01:22 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

No need to order the radiator all the way from China for $350+

I have the Nissens replacement radiator in my Disco for a couple of years.A number of the part houses here in the States offer the Nissens radiator for less than $300.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If that photo is the one they're selling you you're going to have problems. Look at the bottom hose fitting - it's in the wrong place and doesn't curve down.

I put a Nissens in mine, it's' fine. I got a flat a couple of weeks ago, it was 90 degrees out. I sat in the car for 45 minutes at idle with the AC on and no overheating at all.

I paid less than that. Plus if there's a problem try returning it to China if they'd even entertain the thought.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

I have a 100.00 wonder in my 99 D2 looks as good as the OEM unit it replaced. As far as the hose connections they're both straight on my D2's. D1 has a curved lower pipe.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Give it a few weeks to show up on the Genesis auto parts website, the price might be a little more competitive.

It's probably the same company that makes the one that I have in my SHO and in my mom's XJ right now. The only gripe I have with it was that I had to flush the end tanks with water before I installed it to clear out some welding slag, but other than that, they were a huge improvement over the OEM plastic tanked versions. I've had the one in my SHO for many years, and it hasn't skipped a beat. The one in the XJ is just as good also.

Also, there's a drain petcock on this radiator. I mean, what more reason do you need to jump on this?

Old 08-23-2016, 03:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Also, I don't think these are SAI compatible. I don't see the mounting boss for the SAI temperature sensor.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Years ago, when I installed mine; these were not in the market, and had to adapt a massive all-aluminium radiator cushioned properly:

----> Screenshot From KMJ Site Photo by Innernet | Photobucket

----> Left Mount Photo by Innernet | Photobucket

----> Top Photo by Innernet | Photobucket

If these new ones fit LR, I would go for one if its core is really thick (3"-4") and holds much more volume of coolant. The important part is the tubes must not be narrow and prone to clog. How many rows is not important, as tubes can be wide or not; they do not tell that.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

I agree unless that drain valve is the same thread as the SAI temp sensor it is not SAI compatible.

I'd still give it a go on a non SAI D2.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:02 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jhmover
If that photo is the one they're selling you you're going to have problems. Look at the bottom hose fitting - it's in the wrong place and doesn't curve down.

I put a Nissens in mine, it's' fine. I got a flat a couple of weeks ago, it was 90 degrees out. I sat in the car for 45 minutes at idle with the AC on and no overheating at all.

I paid less than that. Plus if there's a problem try returning it to China if they'd even entertain the thought.
X2 on the Nissens. 1yr plus and no issues so far...

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this Aluminum radiator