Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three Amigos...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 02:37 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three Amigos...

Hello Everyone,

I've been dealing with the legendary Three Amigos (ABS/HDC/TC) and was told be the dealer today that it is my ABS Modulator - my worst fear. Mine is a '99 DII. I only have 70K on it and have never taken it off road. What gives? My left head gasket is also leaking and needs to be changed. They suggested I get a valve job while they're there. How convenient. Any suggestions? Is the ABS Modulator something that can be done yourself or is it a hugely technical job? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

mike

Old 10-26-2006, 03:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Three Amigos...

It would be helpful to know what fault codes were pulled before assuming the Modulator is at fault. For instance, "shuttle valve" faults. There now is a kit to replace these, but the dealer would more likely want to sell you a new unit. The job can be tackled by a owner with mechanical skills. What is important is that everything is kept very clean, as any residue at all that finds its way into the new unit will compromise the system performance. The "bleeding" process is also very important.

But with this said, there is also a chance that your "three Amigo's" are due to another cause. A bad ground, failing ABS sensor, or worn hub bearing can all cause the lights to come on. That is why it is important to know what fault codes were stored.

Read my tech info pages at www.eurotekapg.com for a primer on root causes.

Get back to us with those codes if possible.

Regards,

Geoman

eurotek apg

Old 10-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

As for the leaking head gasket, where is it leaking, internally into the oil, into the cylinder or externally? As for the valve job, assuming you use good gas and the engine is not carboned up, I doubt you will need to do your heads other then checking the surface for warpage. Some people will rework the heads to gain some additional power which can really make a difference, but I wouldn't worry about it.
by the way, both of my heads have been leaking off the front corners of the engine for a year and a half, I add a pint of coolant a week and will continue to until it is time to go into the engine for other unforseen problems.
Mike

Old 10-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Mudding

My head gasket was leaking coolant to the outside for about 18 months. No big deal. Left it alone until I threw a CEL error code that indicated something wrong inside the engine at 60k miles. At that point I had the dealer open it up. Turned out to be a sticking valve, not related to the leaking. Had the valve job done. Total cost was about $2600, but I think that included replacing my leaking pan gasket also.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:05 PM
4wd Low

The fault code came up 11,4 - which I am told is a Shuttle Valve malfunction. I asked them about the kit that you recommended and they quickly said that they have never seen them actually work. As for the Head Gasket it is Externally leaking. How big is the job of changing the ABS Modulator should I decide to tackle it? What about the Head gasket?

Thanks,

mike

Old 10-26-2006, 09:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Mike,

Pasted in below is the standard procedure to replace the modulator. However-- that part (SRB101203) carries a list price of $1893.23 !!!

I would try the shuttle valve kit first. I'm gonna plug another supplier here, because I do not yet have these kits available on my site (www.eurotekapg.com)

You can get the kit from Atlantic British.

regards,

Geoman
Northern California

Position cloth under modulator to absorb fluid spillage. CAUTION: Brake fluid will damage paint finished surfaces. If spilled, immediately remove fluid and clean area with water.
Disconnect 3 multiplugs from ABS modulator.
Disconnect 2 inlet brake pipe unions from pump side of modulator. CAUTION: Always fit plugs to open connections to prevent contamination.
Disconnect 4 outlet brake pipe unions from top of modulator. CAUTION: Always fit plugs to open connections to prevent contamination.
Loosen 3 nuts securing modulator to mounting bracket.
Release and remove modulator from mounting bracket.
Remove 3 mounting rubbers from modulator.
Refit

Position mounting rubbers to modulator.
Position modulator to mounting bracket, tighten nuts to 9 Nm (7 ft. lbs.) .
Clean brake pipe unions.
Connect brake pipe unions to modulator ensuring pipes are connected to their correct ports.
Tighten 13 mm unions to 22 Nm (16 ft. lbs.) and 11 mm unions to 14 Nm (10 ft. lbs.) .
Connect multiplugs to modulator.
Bleed brakes. BRAKES, ADJUSTMENTS, Brake system bleeding.
To ensure correct operation, the ABS system MUST be tested using Test Book.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:07 PM
4wd Low

Thank you so much! I've found the Shuttle Valve Repair Kit at Atlantic British for only $59.95. I think I'll take my chances using the kit.

What about changing the Head Gasket? It's an External leak. I have noticed that my DII doesn't seem to have the power it has in the past. Is this a huge job?

Thanks again,

mike

Old 10-26-2006, 09:23 PM
4wd Low

One more thing. Will I need to see a dealer or shop with Autologic or T4 system to complete the Shuttle Valve Repair Kit installation?

Thanks,

mike

Old 10-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Rock Crawling

Mike,

The head gasket job is a 12 hour proposition for a professional mechanic (both banks--of course). If you are skilled in doing engine work, it is not really a difficult job. Just takes time. I have the head gasket kits at my site that also includes the 20 head bolts for a very good price. These are "stretch" bolts and are one-use fasteners--then you toss them out. They are indexed upon installation (not merely tightened to a specified torque as in the old days). 15 ft. lbs. under initial tightening sequence, and then you mark them and tighten another 180 degrees (in the same sequence).

The composite head gasket design now used means you will not have a head gasket problem again for many years-- if ever. This assumes you check the flatness of the heads, and check for any dropped cylinder liners when you have the heads off (read my tech info section under "powertrain" at www.eurotekapg.com)

a little history.........

The elimination of the bottom row of bolts that were used to further clamp down the head (three more per side up to model year '94-95) --- took care of part of the problem that was causing head gasket failures back then. And this was ---- the bolts were actually distorting the cylinder head/deck surface.

regards,
Geoman

Old 10-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Mike,

Yes --- on having to visit a shop to clear the shuttle valve codes.

Geoman

Quick Reply: Three Amigos...