Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three Amigos...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three Amigos...

I was driving up a steep hill, gravel/paved, and they came on and I got a "beep" 3 times. I got to my campsite, unloaded and moves the Disco, and they were not on. As I was driving back from camping, going slightly up hill, they came on again. I shut it down, started it back up and they were gone. They came back on 1 more time and after turning it off and back on they stayed off the rest of my trip, about 70 miles. Is this something I should be concerned about? It is not my daily driver and I do own a code reader, but as they are off I have not Scanned it yet.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

You'll need a code reader capable of reading abs codes. I'd vote for shuttle valve switches, because it comes and goes, but throwing parts at the system is a bad idea.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

That would be my vote also, as it sounds like how my Amigos early visits began. I also vote for a Land Rover ABS scanning device or testing the shuttle valve switches as per Josh's write up. I didn't scan for codes, my switches tested bad, and replaced them, the seals, and rewired it. Luckily, that was the only problem that caused a code for me.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Are your brakes/front wheels covered in brake dust, do they squeak and when was the last time you did a full 2 quart brake flush?

Old 10-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Mudding

Brakes flushed 3 weeks ago, and it was really dusty at Dixie Run this year. Like powder fine dust.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Mudding

Have driven it around for the last 2 days and the lights have stayed off. Should I be concerned or what?

Old 10-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

No. No need to be concerned. But, the Amigos WILL most likely return. Early on in my experience with the Amigos, I think they remained off for almost a week at a time, sometimes. They returned with more and more frequency.

As I don't need HDC, and TC for normal day to day driving, and HOPED to not need ABS, I let them go for a few months before I ordered a new shuttle valve switch and seals, based on my own reasoning of when the lights came on, etc. Preemptively ordering parts could have bitten me in the ***, and it could have been an ABS sensor or something else, but my switches tested bad when I finally dove into it and checked them.

To be safe, though, borrow or buy an ABS Amigo to make sure of the codes. What worked for me, might not for you.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Better to try and find/fix the cause before the lights stay on, then it will cost you a couple $100 to get the codes read, and later try and have them cleared.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Mudding

Will do, thanks.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Mudding

Okay, they came back on and I am going to replace the Shuttle switches. Falconworks has a kit, does anyone recommend another vendor. I am going to replace the Pads, front and rear, and the rotors are in spec, but I am thinking just replace them as well. After all this I am installing a CDL in the T-case.

Quick Reply: Three Amigos...