Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three Amigos Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 01:36 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three Amigos Lights

I'm a pretty new Discovery owner, but I've done my share of research. I have an '03 SE7 and the dreaded 3-Amigos lights came on this morning, but when I drove it this afternoon all of the lights are off. Has this happened to anyone before and what should I be concerned with? The only thing that I can think of is that it's pretty cold today (5-degrees) and it could have affected something. Also, does anyone have a good recommendations for a good code reader?

Old 01-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

could be a million things but if it's off don't worry about it. could be as simple as brake dust or dirt on the brakes or it could be a bad hub, bad speed sensor, shuttle valves failed.. etc...

here is the code reader u need

http://rswsolutions.com/index.php?op...d=56&Itemid=55

Old 01-26-2012, 05:25 AM
1st Gear
Default 064 Right Sensor Electric Fail fault

@hilltoppersx

You mention that the 3 amigos could be a million things, including something as simple as brake dust on the brakes....

Like Disco Fever 12 I'm also a new disco 2 owner, and I was getting the intermitant fault come up.

I purchased an ABS Amigo and it told me that it was the shuttle valve and the right front sensor (114 and 064)

So I bought a new shuttle valve and sensor, and had them fitted. Now in addition to the 3 amigos I know have the red BRAKE light on.

The ABS amigo says that it's still the front right sensor, and I'm starting to get the right hump with this now.

Do you or does anyone else know why this could be? Do I have to reset the faults somehow after they have been corrected or should it do this automatically.

any help would be of great assitance as I'm taking the Disco on it's first long haul holiday next week, a 2000km round trip of Spain, and I'd rather the lights were gone.

One last bit of info, not sure if it's relevant, but the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light has been on since I got the car, even though it was recently serviced... could this be the problem?

I'm starting to this that the ABS Amigo isn't as great as I first thought, as I'm now resorting to guess work

Old 01-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

You could have corroded connections at the abs wheel sensor. The new style connectors wire in directly, bypassing the connectors. You also might have a bad bearing hub assembly causing the wheel sensor to get confused. The abs amigo just reads the codes, it doesn't diagnose problems. Only a person can do that.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

good job on getting the amigo. now get yourself a cheap odb2 code reader on amazon. they are only like 20 quid.

you need to bleed the brakes properly that should drop the brake light.

does the amigo light come back on when you turn the truck on or after a while of driving? it could be a bad hub. if the hub has the slightest wobble to it it can cause the sensor to give a bad reading. but of course it would say the sensor is having an issue not hte hub.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

When the lights come and go, you are only getting a soft fault code, which can be read while the lights are on by a specialized scanner for ABS faults. Are your brakes warn out, squeaking or are the wheels really covered with black brake dust? When was the last time you flushed your brake fluid?
You need to deal with this problem before the lights stay on all the time.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the amigos pay me a visit about two months ago. theyd come on after about 30 minutes of driving and always go away after turning the truck off. drove it like that for maybe a week before scanning it. nothing was abnormal except the the front right wheel speed was reading lower than the other three. cant remember the code it gave, but the description was front "right circuit fault - open circuit" or something like that. not real sure what it was talking about but assumed its the wheel speed sensor since thats the only thing not behaving normally. anyway, cleared the codel; came back next day. after parking the truck over night, hasnt come back since. (2 months now)

so.. any input on how important that code might be? my spedo functions accurately still [i have a gps to compare my speed to]
from this experience id say the amigos might just go away for a while if you ignore them??

Old 01-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

One way or the other, need to get the codes read, while the lights are on.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
One way or the other, need to get the codes read, while the lights are on.
doesnt the ecu store a history of codes that were thrown? you should be able to see the code that was there even if the lights arent on right?

Old 01-30-2012, 06:34 AM
8th Gear

DiscoMike, I just saw your link for the Discovery Shop Manual. I was just about to purchase one of these. Thanks a ton for providing this!

Quick Reply: Three Amigos Lights