Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three Amigos + New Shuttle Valve = Not a Fix

Old 02-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three Amigos + New Shuttle Valve = Not a Fix

So I posted a few weeks ago about a three amigos issue. I called Mike along with some friends and the P.O. about my three amigos. Took it to the LR dealer/mechanic here in town. Mike asked me if my ABS still worked, and it did. So I asked Mike if it could be the Shuttle Valve, he said probably as did the P.O. So I ordered a new one and had my mechanic put it in. Amigos came right back. My mechanic suggested a whole new ABS Modulator. The LR Dealership told me the same thing before I tried the Shuttle Valve.

So if my ABS works and the new Shuttle Valve didn't fix the problem..What gives? Could the modulator still need to be replaced even if the ABS works??

-W

Old 02-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Three Amigos + New Shuttle Valve = Not a Fix

Which part did you install, The $100 one or the newer $800 kit?.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Mudding

The $100 one.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

From the different sites I watch, seems the successful repair ratio using that kit is pretty low compared to the newer kit, might want to check around a little for information on the other kit.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Drifting

How would you know if the ABS is working with the three amigos lights on?

Old 02-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Mudding

If you go out on a sand or slick road and try to stop real fast and the brakes kick back at you, you will know the abs pump and brakes are working. I am curious that when taking it to the LR Mechanic did he not pull the correct codes? When my 3 Amigos popped on, I took it to the dealer for diag only. They told me mine was the right side ABS Harness and needed a overlay harness cleared the codes, I told them I would deal with it later. 65 miles later the lights popped back on after running through a water puddle which confirmed this to me. I have not yet replaced the part, and after a winter of slushy snow I still had the ABS, however I didn't have the traction control or the hill decent as these do not work while the lights are on but seemed to get a long fine.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Mudding

I took it to the dealer first to do a code read. This is what was found:

4035 - R/R Outlet Valve

4075 - R/R Outlet Valve Faulty

4114 - Shuttle Valve

4167 - Pump Motor Failed

So they wanted to do the entire modulator. I just had the Shuttle Valve replaced and the mechanic handed me the keys and said "It didn't fix your ABS problem, the codes came back immediately." I asked what I should do. He said "Replace your modulator". Uggh!!

-W

Old 02-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Drifting

I bet it could still be the shuttle valve. The only problem is you didnt install it.

Did your mechanic clean out the old valves with a contact cleaner? my dealer said to do that unless i wanted to by up there again buying another one.

Have you flushed the ENTIRE brake system and put new fluid in? Mine was looking like scotch; and it only took like 2.x containers of the DOT 4 fluid.

Also clean off the top of the brake reservoir (the orange catch basket as well as the bottom of the "stopper")

Your codes seem to point in the direction of the shuttle valve. When did your codes come back? was it right after you started the car?

Scott

Old 02-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Drifting

the mechanic handed me the keys and said "It didn't fix your ABS problem, the codes came back immediately." I asked what I should do. He said "Replace your modulator". Uggh!!
Wait.... you had the DEALER do it? well theirs your problem.... Trust me if you decided to do it again, you CAN do it yourself. if i can do it.... ANYONE can do it.

Scott

PS - the reason I say so is because I did it... and it worked. When i got my codes read first i had about 6 different codes on all different sensors, ABS shuttle valve, the entire the failure etc. But when push came to shove it was just simply the valve. try to take it to an indy land rover shop i would trust them much more then the dealer.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Mudding

Seconds after starting it the first time with the new shuttle valve, the amigos came back.

You're right, I didn't do the work, my mechanic did. I was intimidated by the project so I have no idea what steps he took. I have not flushed the brake system and I don't know if the mechanic did it. I'm guessing he did not unless I asked him to.

-W

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Three Amigos + New Shuttle Valve = Not a Fix