Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Three Amigos (real original, right?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Three Amigos (real original, right?)

Hey all,

I bought my '02 D2 SE7 w/ 123k miles a couple weeks ago. This weekend, I drained the t-case and put in 75w/140 oil with lube guard additive to try and stem the old t-case whine at high speeds. It helped a little, but still didn't solve my problem. Anywho, I added a couple cans of seafoam to a mostly full tank and then drained and refilled both axles with 80w/90. I replaced the air filter (and when I popped off one of the clips that connects the hose to the air filter, it broke and was forever lost somewhere in the pits of engine bay hell, so I've got a rather ghetto and ugly clip currently serving in it's stead until I can find a new (used) cover.

That's the background. After all was said and done, I was driving out of O'Reilly's parking lot when the three amigos came on. I drove right back in and had them check the code: p1590, "Rough road signal implausible drive cycle, A:signal implausible. The O'Reilly printout said reported fixes are to replace the MAF sensor, IAC Valve, Ignition coils, O2 sensor, Vacuum hoses, or reposition spark plug wires(?). From what I gather (mainly from DiscoMike) this basically just means "Your three amigos are on!" So there's probably a brake/ABS fault somewhere that needs to be fixed.

So, today I took my car down to the goodyear guys and had my oil changed, and I had them check the brakes as well. They pulled me in to show me the rotors, which were grooved (3/4) and mostly worn down. The two front pads were like new, but the rear were mostly gone.

Think just replacing rotors/pads would take care of the three amigos in this case? The p1590 sounds like the vaguest code I could possibly get. And then to get the code removed, do I really have to take it to a rover dealer and pay them to get them taken off? That sucks.

While we're at it, anyone got any rotor/rear pads recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

02 LR Discovery 2 SE7, 123k miles.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Three Wheeling

While I'm at it, I'm thinking of buying the ABS Amigo V1 tool to further diagnose the problem and get the code removed(let me know if you think that would be a waste!), but man do all these "little" $200 purchases add up! Anyone interested in buying it off of me at a discount when I'm done? Or i may just put it up on eBay.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same code show up on mine. Auto parts stores don't read ABS codes. I went to a mechanic who was able to read ABS. I had 13+ codes. Most came from when the SLS airbags were failing. Codes were never cleared when SLS bags were changed to springs. But I did have the Shuttle Valve Failure code. I did the ABS Modulator "fix" and went back and had the codes cleared. No codes...no amigos.

My rear rotors sound like yours, I'm replacing them when they arrive-ordered from AtlanticBritish. Don't think it will have any effect on the amigos. Call around and find a mechanic that can read ABS codes. Post back with what codes showed up. Read the sticky at the top of the disco 2 page... ABS Mod Fix...

Old 09-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by floundering
Call around and find a mechanic that can read ABS codes. Post back with what codes showed up. Read the sticky at the top of the disco 2 page... ABS Mod Fix...
Yeah, I checked the ABS Mod Fix sticky, but wasn't sure it would be worth my time without knowing what specific issues there were. I didn't realize I could just pop in and borrow someone's ABS code reader=] I will call around tomorrow and see what I can see. I'll report back once I know more. I'm hoping I don't have a bunch of codes waiting for me.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Mudding

Where are you located? Someone may chime in and let you know of a shop that can read the codes for you. Don't worry about all the codes at once. One step at a time as they say. Do/Did you have the self leveling suspension?

Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by CaptainCulp
Yeah, I checked the ABS Mod Fix sticky, but wasn't sure it would be worth my time without knowing what specific issues there were. I didn't realize I could just pop in and borrow someone's ABS code reader=] I will call around tomorrow and see what I can see. I'll report back once I know more. I'm hoping I don't have a bunch of codes waiting for me.

Some indy shops don't mind reading the codes for free...They will charge you to tell you what those codes mean. That's why this site is worth every penny. And most unsuspecting people just believe the mech and give them money for all the parts that are "causing" the issues on the diagnostics.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by floundering
Where are you located? Someone may chime in and let you know of a shop that can read the codes for you. Don't worry about all the codes at once. One step at a time as they say. Do/Did you have the self leveling suspension?
I'm in Stillwater, OK. Go Pokes. And honestly, I wouldn't know if I have/had SLS or not, since I've only been the owner (or an LR owner, period) for a couple weeks. I'm learning new things just about every day. Would that matter? Not sure what I'd have to check for on the vehicle itself to find out.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:58 AM
Mudding

Rear suspension will have airbags or springs. Airbags=SLS, and eventually will need replacing to springs. As the airbags fail they will throw ABS codes. If you have/had SLS there would be a button to the right of the steering wheel above the coin/ash tray- has a pic of the vehicle with an arrow pointing up. Not to be confused with the hill descent button in the same cluster.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:23 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if it had SLS there would be a button in the center of the dash that show the back of the truck with an up and down arrow.
Akebono Euro ceramic pads.
you really have to read all the ABS codes there are over dozen thing that could sent the Amigo off.
you are correct The p1590 sounds like the vaguest code I could possibly get.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by drowssap
if it had SLS there would be a button in the center of the dash that show the back of the truck with an up and down arrow.
Akebono Euro ceramic pads.
[/B]
I'll check again, but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen that button. There's one blank button in that cluster on my dash.

I keep hearing about the Akebono pads, and when my front pads need replacing, I'll definitely spring for those. The front pads are like new, though. I'll see about getting them for the backside since it needs some new ones.

Quick Reply: The Three Amigos (real original, right?)