Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body Heater Plate Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by aguison
Hey guys

I need to confess - I'm struggling with this a little bit maybe because I don't know what the part I'm replacing does!

Would you be nice enough to tell me what does the Throttle body heater plate do?

Thank you
The throttle body heater runs warm coolant through the throttle body to help warm it. It is mainly helpful for people in cold weather areas.

Sourced from here:WHY Heat The Throttle Body!?

There's two reasons we want to heat the incoming air. The first is that the atomized fuel will mix with warm air better than cold air. This was actually more important with carburetted engines rather than fuel injected engines.

The second reason is to keep the throttle chamber from freezing. Yep, that's right. I said freezing. As in ice forming inside the throttle chamber.

Anyone who lives where it gets cold in the winter has heard of "wind chill". It'll be 30° with a wind chill of 10°. As the air moves through the throttle body, the same wind chill affects the inside if the throttle body. Under certain conditions, such as high humidity, condensation will form inside the throttle body and the moving air will freeze it. This ice will keep building up until it chokes off the air supply and the engine dies.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It heats the throttle body. Hence the name.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Or it could freeze in the wide open after a nice cold trip down the highway

Old 07-03-2014, 09:23 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Replaced this recently on my 03. Pull the two small hoses off, remove throttle cables, remove vacuum lines on throttle body, remove screws and pull entire throttle body. The bonus is, you probably need to clean the TB anyway, so it's a great time to do it and makes the heater replacement a piece of cake. Use the right tools to remove the small screws on the heater... wouldn't want to strip those. Otherwise, it's a very easy to do job and you can kill two birds with one stone.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

anyone have any idea on how cold it would actually have to be (ambient) for this freezing to take effect? I assume it would need be VERY cold...? just curious, as I have taken a couple of trips where it was several days around 0 f. and have seen no issue w/o the tbh. any idea?

Old 07-03-2014, 09:40 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Dusty,

as stated earlier it have a lot to do with the wind chill factor, I would assume on a 30 degree trucking 65mph that your wind chill factor would be well below the 30 degree ambient temperature.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared9220
This ice will keep building up until it chokes off the air supply and the engine dies.
Not quite this.

Originally Posted by drowssap
Or it could freeze in the wide open after a nice cold trip down the highway
Exactly this. I know someone that this happened to, as a result of bypassing their throttle body heater. It's a good thing he wasn't driving an automatic.

Originally Posted by dusty1
anyone have any idea on how cold it would actually have to be (ambient) for this freezing to take effect? I assume it would need be VERY cold...? just curious, as I have taken a couple of trips where it was several days around 0 f. and have seen no issue w/o the tbh. any idea?
Not cold at all, in fact, it can happen at slightly above freezing temperatures while cruising at highway speeds.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

wow. I would have guessed -20+, given the heat produced under the bonnet.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Under certain conditions, such as high humidity, condensation will form inside the throttle body and the moving air will freeze it. This ice will keep building up until it chokes off the air supply and the engine dies.
Originally Posted by Racer X
Not quite this.
It is true this is unlikely to happen on a large throttle body like on a rover, but a smaller throttle body or carb especially, this can and does happen.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:56 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My uncle had a farm tractor on which the carburetor used to freeze in the middle of summer. You would see the ice forming slowly around the outside of the carb until it was totally encased in solid white ice. I mean for us kids this was crazy as it was happening at 70-80°F during the day under the sun, on a very hot engine. Now I know it was mainly caused by the evaporation of fuel in the carburetor throat. What happens is that in order to go from liquid to vapor, the fuel needs energy, and it takes it from the surface inside the card, thus cooling the carb and causing it to eventually be colder than the outside temp.

Nowadays with injectors the evaporation occurs only past the injectors so the above explanation doesn't apply, but the sudden drop in air pressure past the butterfly in the throttle will cause the air to cool a little. It's the same principle as when compressing a gas, for example in a diesel engine. The simple act of increasing the pressure inside the cylinder will increase the temperature at the same time to the point of causing it to burn. So with the right conditions in the throttle body such as the position of the butterfly, air temperature and intake vacuum, the temperature of the air could drop significantly.

As for the wind chill factor explanation, I think it doesn't apply to the throttle body because there is no evaporation involved at that point. The reason humans feel colder because of wind is because the humidity contained at the surface of our exposed skin evaporates faster because of the wind, and to evaporate it requires energy which is found in our body. This is why we feel cold when we get out of the shower if there's a slight breeze. In the old days we referred to the wind chill factor as the wet bulb temperature. But if there's nothing evaporating like in the throttle body, the wind chill factor doesn't apply.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Heater Plate Kit