Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise during acceleration...(cold start)

Old 04-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise during acceleration...(cold start)

Greetings folks!

The last few days I've been hearing a "tick tick tick" type noise soon after starting my 03' Disco. It stops after a few minutes. I only hear the noise from a cold start, before the Discovery has warmed up a bit.

I dropped the Discovery off this morning for a diagnostic check. I purchased it from a small mom and pop shop that I know well, so cost is not of concern yet. It's still under a full warranty.

I've asked them to check out a few things, slight vibration at 30MPH+, ticking noise, brakes, 3-amigos (only came on once) etc. With regard to the ticking noise, is there anything in particular I should ask them to check? I know they'll give it a very thorough look over, but wouldn't mind making sure they're looking in all the right spots.

Thanks!

Last edited by The Cisco Kid; 04-13-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cisco Kid
Greetings folks!

The last few days I've been hearing a "tick tick tick" type noise soon after starting my 03' Disco. It stops after a few minutes. I only hear the noise from a cold start, before the Discovery has warmed up a bit.

I dropped the Discovery off this morning for a diagnostic check. I purchased it from a small mom and pop shop that I know well, so cost is not of concern yet. It's still under a full warranty.

I've asked them to check out a few things, slight vibration at 30MPH+, ticking noise, brakes, 3-amigos (only came on once) etc. With regard to the ticking noise, is there anything in particular I should ask them to check? I know they'll give it a very thorough look over, but wouldn't mind making sure they're looking in all the right spots.

Thanks!
Keep your fingers crossed tightly that your's isn't one of the dreaded "oil Pump" failure models. I sincerely hope that's not the origins of your nacent ticking. Very bad news if it is... If you're lucky and dodge that bullet - have him make sure that all your exhaust bolts are fully tightened (especially the 3 bolts from each header to the downpipes)

As far as the vibration? Has your front driveshaft been rebuilt w/ greasable joints? VERY good chance that's necessary. Even if it's not - THAT still needs to be checked and remedied if it already hasn't. A very common point of failure that'll take out your transmission if not remedied...

Old 04-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Suede
Keep your fingers crossed tightly that your's isn't one of the dreaded "oil Pump" failure models. I sincerely hope that's not the origins of your nacent ticking. Very bad news if it is... If you're lucky and dodge that bullet - have him make sure that all your exhaust bolts are fully tightened (especially the 3 bolts from each header to the downpipes)

As far as the vibration? Has your front driveshaft been rebuilt w/ greasable joints? VERY good chance that's necessary. Even if it's not - THAT still needs to be checked and remedied if it already hasn't. A very common point of failure that'll take out your transmission if not remedied...
My VIN is out of the dreaded "oil pump" failure range, but I guess this doesn't mean it couldn't be the problem. Driveshaft is stock. I've working on having them replace it, if not, I'll try and do it on my own. Been searching for some one in my area who might be able to help.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to call nwo to make sure they check the things you mentioned.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't let the dealer mess with your ABS, it will cost you a fortune and they will want to sell you a new module plus when it can be repaired for much less.
As for the drive shaft, don't buy another problem shaft from them, let us show you options that will cost you less.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Don't let the dealer mess with your ABS, it will cost you a fortune and they will want to sell you a new module plus when it can be repaired for much less.
As for the drive shaft, don't buy another problem shaft from them, let us show you options that will cost you less.
I should probably stop using the word "dealership". It's a small shop that specializes in foreign cars. A few clients of mine and colleagues use them. But of course, I won't let them mess with anything if they're going to charge me. They're already working on making sure all my concerns are addressed. They're not a Land Rover dealership.

I plan on replacing the front drive shaft ASAP. Extremely nervous though and am hoping I can find some one close who can help. I'll order the parts once I know I have some one to help. Still need to order tools etc.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I think your cold "tick" is a exhaust manifold leak.
The exhaust manifolds on these things get hairline cracks in them and until they get hot and expand they will leak and it can sound like everything from lifter noise to rod knock to a exhaust leak.

There is a metal gasket that seals the headers to the heads and like already mentioned if the exhaust manifold bolts are loose (also common) the gasket can act like a playing card on your kids Schwinn bike spokes.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Three Wheeling

Did you ever find the cause of the ticking noise?

Old 05-28-2010, 05:33 AM
Three Wheeling

When the Oil Pump is on the final stages of failure you will here a tick tick tick sound once the engine is up to operating temp. Once that tick has begun you literally have a couple of miles until she blows... I just replaced the front cover/oil pump last weekend and was amazed at what I found inside the cover, oil pan and sump... Good Luck

Old 06-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On my D1 the ticking when cold was the EGR hose leaking.
Run the engine and listen for vacuum leak. If you find it, plug the leak and test when cold.
My hose was collapsing because the EGR was plugged solid and the hose was collapsing. The stealership never corrected the problem, always said it was normal and never addressed the vacuum leak sound.
The ticking was correctly diagnosed by an independent mechanic and the EGR replaced only after I gave up on the service department and went independent.

SD

Old 06-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Your Disco should have secondary air injection or SAI. SAI functions by forcing air into the exhaust stream just upstream of the exhaust manifold. It usually runs for 30 to 90 seconds when the engine is cold. Mine occassionaly makes a clicking-like sound, but it comes directly from the pump which is located on the firewall behind the coolant expansion tank.

P.S. it also stops under acceleration and will not activate when the engine is warm. It's meant to help burn the uncombusted fuel that the cold motor produces, and helps warm up the cats so they perform as designed sooner in the engine start up cycle.

Last edited by rtonder; 06-11-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ticking noise during acceleration...(cold start)