Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie rod ends

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tie rod ends

I am getting a intermintant front end wobble so i Think it is time to replace the tie rod ends. I am confused if I can just install new ends in the existing bar or do I need to buy a whole new bar with new ends.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I did ends only and bought greasable ends.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Greasable is the way to go. If you off road at all I highly reccomend the terrafirma hd track rod and tie rod set. I have a set on my rangie and on my disco. Much stronger than original.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:42 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

British 4x4 has a reinforced drag link and track arm, plus 4 OEM tie rod ends for $170. I'm replacing my TREs, and for 4 OEMs, it's about $150, so for an extra $20, you can get upgraded arms.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:45 AM
Mudding

To check your TREs, lift the vehicle, grab the wheel real tight, and try to rock it back and forth laterally and horizontally. If there is any play, its time to replace. If not, then the TREs are still good. Sometimes the play is hard to notice, takes practice to determine if the wheel is moving or not.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Ha - the Death Wobble was all the practice I needed, the pucker factor increase pushed that job too the top of the to-do list.....

Old 04-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Ha - the Death Wobble was all the practice I needed
Hahaha. Indeed. Too many car guys do not have a sense of humor about their cars. I'm glad we do.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
Greasable is the way to go. If you off road at all I highly reccomend the terrafirma hd track rod and tie rod set. I have a set on my rangie and on my disco. Much stronger than original.
That was the set I was looking at. Basically the same price as buying all the individual tie rod ends.

Anything special with the install? I looked in the rave and it looks like I just remove the nut holding the TRE in and tap it out. Then slip the new on it. Almost seems too simple. Am I missing something?

Originally Posted by Eaglerover22
To check your TREs, lift the vehicle, grab the wheel real tight, and try to rock it back and forth laterally and horizontally. If there is any play, its time to replace. If not, then the TREs are still good. Sometimes the play is hard to notice, takes practice to determine if the wheel is moving or not.
Very true. I tried and it is hard to isolate the movement. I figured it can't hurt to replace them and I think it will solve my 'shimmy' in the wheel.

Last edited by ebg18t; 04-24-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Its just as easy as u said. Use the string method to give itself an alignment until u have funds to get a good laser alignment.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ebg18t
Very true. I tried and it is hard to isolate the movement. I figured it can't hurt to replace them and I think it will solve my 'shimmy' in the wheel.
Thats probably your best bet. I'm a firm believer in (1) if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and (2) don't throw parts at your car hoping to fix it. The exception to these rules being the front end. If you think your TREs are going, or your hub bearings, just replace them. It can't hurt, and it's always better than a catastrophic failure on the highway at 70mph. Plus, the peace of mind is priceless.

TRE's are fairly easy to replace, they basically screw into the track rod and drag link, then you clamp them down. The RAVE directions are actually pretty good. Let us know what type you go with, and where did you find the terrafirma track rod and drag link? I was going to go with the British 4x4 ones, but I'll look into the terrafirma ones now.

Also, I have heard, but have no first-hand knowledge of it, that OEM TRE's are the best to use on our trucks. I have never used a greasable TRE, and would be concerned about snapping off the zerk when wheeling. Would someone who has used greasable TREs weigh in, and where can I find greasable TREs? I am replacing mine next weekend, and would like to order them this week.

Quick Reply: Tie rod ends