Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tie rod replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 05:36 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tierod

I need to replace both front tie rods complete please someone tell me what do i need for parts? I keep seeing tie rod front right front left smaller larger ends i am confused the repair person is allowing me to find the parts on my
own and just charging labor. I am just not finding what i need. help please.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 4 tie rod ends on the steering arms, two on the drag link and two on the track rod (there are 2 ball joints for each of the steering knuckles too, but I assume we're not talking about those). I've been asking the same question as you for a while now, and nobody seems to have a definitive answer on what I need to replace all 4 TREs, so I'm playing it safe and buying an upgraded drag link and track rod with the TRE's already installed in them from British 4x4 Outfitters for $170. The TRE's are OEM, and the cheapest I can find OEM TRES is about $35-40 each ($140-160 for 4), so for $10 more, you can get heavy duty arms as well. Takes all the guess work out, and if it turns out the heavy duty arms are junk, you'll still have your OEMs to replace them. The drag link and track rod are zinc plated, so if you live on the ocean, you might consider getting them powder coated first. If someone has an opinion on the British 4x4 Outfitters track rod and drag link, I'd love to know because I'm going to purchase them this week.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Pro Wrench

i have no opinion and its freakin confusing.....

so sounds like 4 ball joints and 4+2+2 tie rods......wtf?

I'm in the middle of this now as well.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:22 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
i have no opinion and its freakin confusing.....

so sounds like 4 ball joints and 4+2+2 tie rods......wtf?

I'm in the middle of this now as well.
Here is the actual part he is referring to as sold by British 4x4 Outfitters. Click on link for details and a very clear picture of the entire kit. I purchased this kit last week and it should arrive tomorrow. Ill install this weekend if all goes well. So far I can say that the sales rep is great on customer service. The brand of this particular kit is Brittpart.

http://www.british4x4outfitters.com/...ds-P22646.aspx

Be happy these guys have them in stock because everybody else is out of stock and waiting on backorder! I really wanted to get the TerraFirma HD track Rod kit but this will due just fine. The rep said its the same quality as TF anyways.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Haha! Britpart and Terrafirma same quality, haha!

Old 04-11-2013, 01:35 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Haha! Britpart and Terrafirma same quality, haha!
Would you care to enlighten us?
On a side note the RoversNorth rep I spoke to over the phone about the TF track rod kit (which is out of stock possibly for months...) said that part of the problem is that TF is so good, they cannot keep up with the demand for parts... kinda ironic. I wish TF would get there act together, maybe expand their capacity or team up with other companies to better help them keep up with the supply of demand.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Would you care to enlighten us?
On a side note the RoversNorth rep I spoke to over the phone about the TF track rod kit (which is out of stock possibly for months...) said that part of the problem is that TF is so good, they cannot keep up with the demand for parts... kinda ironic. I wish TF would get there act together, maybe expand their capacity or team up with other companies to better help them keep up with the supply of demand.
Haha I'm not saying that specific Britpart product is bad, only that they have a certain name people like to use for their quality. ****part if you know what I mean! Though that doesn't always hold true, they make some nice parts. Terrafirma makes an awesome product, I'm really trying to get those steering rod kits in for a few people(you included Julian, but it looks like you're all set now!)

People are loving the Terrafirma stuff, we just got the skeleton shock towers in and less than a week later they're gone, out of stock. It's hard to keep up!

Product Details - Land Rover Parts | Rovers North
Name:  NKGGq58.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  219.6 KB

Old 04-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Britpart is to England as A1 Cardone is to the states.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Pro Wrench

I'm trying to do a suspension rebuild (phase 1) and I am changing all the bushings, tie rods and ball joints. It's an urban D2 but needs to handle the rough roads and maybe some gravel/dirt roads.

So in addition to the other bushings I bought awhile back I am doing:

Radius Arm Bushing RBX101680 x 4 = $80
Ball Joint Set FTC3570 x 2 + FTC3571 x 2 = $75
tie rods RBM100223 x 2 = $40
sway bar link RGD100682 x 2 = $50

I think I got it all. Probably not.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:56 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

are you using rubber bushings or poly?

Quick Reply: tie rod replacement