Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for an alternator, it seems

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 01:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts
Default Time for an alternator, it seems

Well boys and girls, it appears the alternator in Redrover has bitten the dust. I've searched some threads, and I know I could perhaps get it rebuilt but I don't really have the time or the inclination to do that, nor do I think buying a good used one makes sense to me. I know about getting a 150 amp version specified for a P38, but are there auto parts stores or other sellers to prefer or avoid? Thanks.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Get whatever is cheap. Rebuilt is rebuilt; they all use cheap Chinese bearings, brushes, doodes, capacitors. Get one with a good warranty unless the price is exceptionally better for one without a good warranty.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I've had very good results with Parts Player Alternators & Starters. Never have had a good Alternator from Auto Zone or Oreilly's they've all died quick and sudden deaths in my personal experience. I prefer online with no core charges and just grabbing a new unit.

On the cheap side if you have an LKQ pick n pull type yard near you I'd recommend taking a look. You can usually score a P38 or D2 Alternator for 25.00-40.00 depending on the year model. Most P38/D2's that end up in the salvage yards were either running fine before the crash or it was killed/sold off due to a blown motor or the famous D2 drive shaft's exploding & killing the transmission/transfer case.

I've purchased a good deal of cheap spares that way and out of probably 10 I've only had one that was INOP and I was able to take it back and just go grab another one. I am picky and I only grab OEM alternator's. If I see a refurb tag on it = I don't touch it.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:07 PM
Camel Trophy

Thank you for the input, but for now it appears I have a bigger problem.

Please see the thread linked below.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...85/#post646610

Old 05-06-2018, 07:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

I’m going to get this 150A alternator...
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F300369751057

The following users liked this post:
No Doubt (05-06-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 07:35 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I've had the 150 amp LAtrical (iirc) alt in there for about 2 years now with no issues. Good price, quickish delivery. Will have to give 👍👍.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:55 PM
Camel Trophy

I'm back at this after having been out of town a while. I now have the luxury of a couple weeks to do the work.

Given that, I'm now thinking about getting the alternator rebuilt by a local auto electric shop with a good reputation. Have any of you done that instead of buying new, used or rebuilt?

Old 06-04-2018, 02:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

I had a place near me...he would test the windings, replace the bearing, replace the diodes, replace the regulator.

The diodes or regulator are the things that usually break. The windings usually last a long time.

Technically, if you find the part numbers, you could probably do it yourself.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:05 AM
Camel Trophy

I called the local auto electric shop with the highest Google and Yelp! ratings this morning. I was told the rebuild pricing would be based on what components need to be replaced. All units get new bearings and brushes, but the rectifier, etc. are replaced only if needed and at additional cost. She ballparked a typical rebuild at ~$125.

That's a little more than I expected, but I'll probably go with the rebuild because she emphasized they don't use "cheap Chinese parts" or take other shortcuts. I could buy an alternator online and save the hassle of drop off and pick up at the shop, but with the rebuild I think I'll be more confident about what I'm putting back in the truck.

Alternate points of view welcomed.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Parts Player Alternator’s have worked great for me. Rebuilt locally is fine, and we use American parts is fine “if” they actually do.

I knew a guy that insisted he rebuild his D1’s alternator vs a Parts Player replacement. It maybe lasted 3-5 months the first time, got fixed again under the shops warranty after he got stranded out at the lake miles from nowhere, then he let his wife drive it & it kicked the bucket on her. He eventually had me slap in a Parts Player unit & he’s been going strong since. His rebuilt unit is a spare now.

I also had another friend that inisted on his Ford’s alternator get rebuilt. It didn’t last a week..... he took it back & they just got him a replacement and didn’t charge him.

My brother had his RRC alternator rebuilt and it also failed like 2 weeks later with what they called “upgraded” parts. He took it back, they rebuilt it again and so far so good.

Honestly Auto Zone/Oreilly’s will have a longer warranty than most rebuilt at a shop and if it dies you have a better chance of getting a replacement vs being nowhere near the shop that rebuilt it.

For me it’s Parts Player, or spares from pick n pull lots.

Quick Reply: Time for an alternator, it seems