Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to go Mr. Resonator.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 03:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Time to go Mr. Resonator.

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMZ2964JHGg

Here you go. Took a bit to upload.

Please look around the oil stains on the driveway. I dropped the pan last weekend and made a mess...

I do apologize for the ghetto tip...

LOL @ ghetto tip! You need some kitty litter (Walmarts cheapest works good) to suck that oil out of your concrete! It sounds good BTW!

Old 02-06-2008, 02:50 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

one day later... I am ready to go! The tools are outside waiting. Before i do this I want to be sure this doesnt effect emmisions. Its doesnt right? Obviously it shouldnt, but i dont want them to balk at me when the next insepction rolls around about a "missing resonator"

Old 02-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do they chack sound, or just emissions? Are you in CA? The Borla cat back systems are the samr thing basically with a bigger, mandrel bent pipe and resonating tip.

I would say that unless they measure sound, you should be ok. Worst case, you pay $15 at a muffle shop to have it welded back on...

Old 02-06-2008, 04:40 PM
TReK

no, they dont check sound in NC as far as I know so I should be set. It just started rainning so I have to put it off another day... Garage still full of Christmas boxes...

Old 02-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hemm, what is the purpose of doing this ??? Is it for fonction ??, is it for sound ?? or is it that it went bad and instead of replacing it you'll chop it off ?? Does it take away back pressure ??

To those who did it, how much louder is it compared to with it ??

I had replaced a brand new stainless steel exhaust on my TJ, with a Dynomax super turbo with mandrel bent tubing. The second the muffler went bad, I re-installed the stock muffler cause I found that the sound was annoying me, especially on the trails, where all you can hear is the noise you're making. So is annoyingly loud, or just a nice rumble???

Old 02-06-2008, 08:16 PM
TReK

Mostly just a nice rumble, at idle and a little bit at certain speeds. I think they said its about a 20% sounds increase at most. It also gets it out of the way a but, more clearance the better, less stuff to smush. From what I have heard its doesnt effect back pressure much if at all.

What inspired me was hearing another owners in a parking lot, it was niiiiice. Nothing stupid sounding like one of these dumb civics or VW's that try and be "loud". Just a nice simple rover rumble.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Mudding

Off subject...but do you have any pics of your disco? From your vids...she looks very clean!

Old 02-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea all NC checks is emissions via the OBDII port. No visual even anymore, which is why you can always smell the dumb Civics and Preludes that cut out their Cats...

Old 02-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I was at Cerrone's talking to Tony and he showed me his cut tailpipe. He cut it off just after the last support so there's room to weld it back on if needed. He doesn't have any tip on there either. This is basically his daily driver/off road machine, so I say go for it!!

Old 02-07-2008, 03:24 AM
Mudding

I am not sure about how happy it will make the Rover but I had it taken out of my twin turbocharged 6 speed Audi A6 and she is a much happier car. Oil temp run about 25 degrees F cooler and once the computer sensed that it was gone there was definitely a notable increase in power. I do hear that it helps turbocharged engines more to remove it. Nicer sound at idle and almost no noticable difference in sound at speed. I dont know if this makes a difference but my resonator was before my mufflers in that car.

Tell me how it works out in your Rover. If it helps I might do the same.

Fred

Quick Reply: Time to go Mr. Resonator.