Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to Pack it In?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

OP, the reason you are getting all of this advice is because everyone who has chimed in has done all of those things and I don't think any of us are mechanics by trade. I know there is a lawyer, a college student, and a retired gentleman among the posters. We all learned to do it by trial and error, assisted with the RAVE manual and the good folks here.

I tend to post alot when I am in a complete bind or have just gotten everything working pretty well. Right now it is the latter and I had my engine on a crane and was in the **** less than a week ago. For better or worse my posting is a way of saying thank you to the real Jedi and the entire community here. You seem to be fond of your Disco and most of the members here are, too. In the US I think Disco I and II owners are the tightest and most vocal bunch of Land Rover owners because we are all trying to keep our old trucks going and we know they aren't worth much to anyone except us. You're in the right place and the forum will help you get your parts together and repairs done. When I have an issue people sending me pictures, links, advice, emails, and even phone calls. One guy drove to my house and pointed at something we couldn't get straight on the phone. You can expect the same. Swear off the shop and get ready for the feelings of accomplishment, satisfaction, pride, and thrift that fixing it yourself always brings. Plus you will have new parts and better than original in most cases. Just post what you want to do and sit back for the help.

The following 2 users liked this post by Charlie_V:
KernowDiscovery (03-08-2016), LR03NJ (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 08:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi ms kernow

$1530 for parts is a ripoff...3 times over

You're in luck..there is an excellent mechanic in your area that ….from what I hear... does quality work for a reasonable price....ihscouts...he's on the forum... heard of him? I can't speak for him..and don't know the whole story on all of your problems....but... I'm betting he would do all of your work for half of the quote they gave you or less...$2250...tsssssss..some shops are with us..some are not......anyway...may be worth an email?

I have a rover about same year as yours and as much as I love it...and it has been a workhorse and has served me well for over 8 years.....I wouldn't pay $2250 for 3 of these in running condition....with new brakes...now that they are 12 13 (how weird) years old.

I do all of my maintenance and repairs and if I had to pay someone to keep it up it would have been gone long ago...so...good luck

Not trying to be a party pooper......and as nice is everyone is here on the forum...if you can't do your own wrenching...you may have to throw in the towel ..or get out your wallet your call.....this is not changing your oil...and you can get hurt..doing major work on these..if you're not careful

maybe you can get your pads and roters done first and go from there

good luck!

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 08:26 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Based on the information you've given us:

brake caliper 2 47.23* 94.46
tie rod ends 2 29.95 59.90
brake kit** 1 129.95 129.95
coil spring kit*** 1 279.95 279.95

total: 564.26

* plus 32.00 core charge per caliper refunded when you send you bad ones in
** includes rotors and pads for both front wheels
*** all four springs

Notice that you may not even have to replace the calipers. You might want to pull them and verify they're frozen/failed before you order replacements. But if you can't afford the down-time, then order them anyway.

Notice I quoted calipers, brake rotors and pads for the front wheels. The rear wear much more slowly and are unlikely to need replacement, but if they do need replacement, they're less expensive than the fronts.

All my quotes come from Atlantic British except the rebuild calipers from partsgeek.com. I prefer the rebuilt Lockheed/Cardone calipers to the All Makes pattern parts that AB sells, and they're less expensive.

For labor, brake job is 1-2 hours per axle. So if it's just the front axle, two hours is max. You'd be using all new parts, so there's no reason for a delay.

The springs are also perhaps 1-2 hours per axle, so max of 4 hours.

The tie-rod ends are less than an hour, but let's just estimate a whole hour.

That's 7 hours labor maximum. The labor estimate of $602 is fair if the shop rate is a little less than $100/hr. Some shops could do the job in hours less, but it's probably not fair to say they should work very quickly and for cheap. I don't know of any shops around me that would do that.

The problem is the shop's estimate is too high for the parts, or they're quoting a lot more parts. They may be quoting a high price for parts if they add a percentage for themselves, or if they source them from somewhere expensive like the dealer.

If you find another mechanic, you could consider providing the parts yourself and understand the mechanic wouldn't warranty the parts you provided.

It could be worth getting a quote from another mechanic, but if even $1500 is going to make you cry, then your best option is to do the work yourself, and maybe find someone that will help you for a beer, pound of bacon, and a high five.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by binvanna
Notice I quoted calipers, brake rotors and pads for the front wheels. The rear wear much more slowly and are unlikely to need replacement, but if they do need replacement, they're less expensive than the fronts.
Thanks for the advice and pricing, binvanna. The issue is with my rear brakes and that is what i'm completely puzzled over. I have had my rear brakes replaced twice now since I've owned the Rover and this will be the third time (in 8 years). So something must be going on with the rear section of the Rover to make them wear faster than the front. In fact, I have a perfectly good set of front pads and rotors in the garage as I replaced both front and back 2 and a half years ago. So they mystery continues..

As silly as it sounds, I believe I'm crying over the emotions tied to my Rover and not the monetary amount. It's puzzling why I would continue to have this issue and no one can determine why. Why do my rear brakes continue to fail? And as much as I'm not keen on paying $2250 for a garage to fix these things, I understand that everyone has to make a living somehow. I wouldn't ever want to take advantage of anyone, including a person who only asked for a beer, some bacon and a high five.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by RicketyTick
Hi ms kernow

$1530 for parts is a ripoff...3 times over

You're in luck..there is an excellent mechanic in your area that ….from what I hear... does quality work for a reasonable price....ihscouts...he's on the forum... heard of him? I can't speak for him..and don't know the whole story on all of your problems....but... I'm betting he would do all of your work for half of the quote they gave you or less...$2250...tsssssss..some shops are with us..some are not......anyway...may be worth an email?

I have a rover about same year as yours and as much as I love it...and it has been a workhorse and has served me well for over 8 years.....I wouldn't pay $2250 for 3 of these in running condition....with new brakes...now that they are 12 13 (how weird) years old.

I do all of my maintenance and repairs and if I had to pay someone to keep it up it would have been gone long ago...so...good luck

Not trying to be a party pooper......and as nice is everyone is here on the forum...if you can't do your own wrenching...you may have to throw in the towel ..or get out your wallet your call.....this is not changing your oil...and you can get hurt..doing major work on these..if you're not careful

maybe you can get your pads and roters done first and go from there

good luck!
Thanks Rickety Tick but Doug isn't interested in working on my vehicle. I appreciate the suggestion.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Hey guys, I'm THE GUY who normally handles Bertha but because I'm very short on time I had to turn this job down, not easy either. If you guys would could you walk Christina through doing it, like a bullet type walk through on whatever she asks for. Her husband has difficulty doing this stuff because of an amputation so he like Christina is a great helper. I'd greatly appreciate it and for sure Christina would. It's not as overwhelming as it sounds, I can't convince her of that. I told her to start with the most critical and work her way down or afford her way down if she takes it somewhere else. Critical to least important with bullets.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:05 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

I understand your situation and it very hard to shell out that much money for repairs in one day. I got 2 rovers to maintain and this forum helped me troubleshoot and decide which has to be done in order. I once went to a shop or actually a Land Rover dealer where I spent $900.00 to replace rotors and pads only for the rear. This was when my truck was new. I can not forget that amount I paid until now. Its more than the cost of buying a complete set of vented and dimpled EBC brakes from AB front and back for only 750.00 including labor. But, I did not worry for a while since it was fixed.
I was in this forum yesterday and asked about how to replace the pads or bleed the brakes. It was easy. Early today, I had a good cup of coffee and all pumped up to replace them. Went out on the driveway got the alligator jack. Know what? I cant find the handle to raise it up. Wasted an hour just finding it and the jack stand was all the way inside the crawl space. It will take me 30mins or so just to get all the junk in front of them. But I dont want to buy another jack today so I ended up going to the mechanic to have them replaced.
Well, in my case, I have always the parts with me in my truck and researched each shop and get prices. Now, I have an idea who can do what around my town and how much will it cost me to get it fixed. I always have the next part I needed to replace and show them and ask how much it will cost to install or replace it. Some shops go by their computers and some just tells me not to tell anyone the price they gave me. Some shops, I buy a case of beer and drink with them (i dont drink) while they work on my truck. But sure I pay the labor too but I can watch all the details they are doing.
Anyway, we will have all these kind of experiences whether its a Rover or another. Its not totally to cry about when its all fixed. I know that youll be happy for a while until it breaks again and remind you this again. Its paid already and in most part, you have much of your brake system replaced and I hoping they guarantee the work. Enjoy your Rover. If you get a Soul, it still a Kia and if you have a Discovery then its still a LAND ROVER.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Ok.. so a cat was mournfully meowing outside my window at 3:00 am so I'm up and pricing out parts. Couldn't sleep. Thanks to all of you, I've done this comparison of the shop's parts list vs. what it could cost me. First the shop's quote:

2 Rear Rotors: 109.95 x 2 = $219.90
Disc Pads: $92.39
2 Rear Brake Calipers: $139.99 x 2 = $279.98
Brake Service Kit = $29.95
ABS Part: $224.99
2 Tie Rod End Outers (ES800783): $120.99 x 2 = $241.98
Pair of Rear Coil Springs: $438.99
$1528.18

Now what I've priced out based on your recommendations:

2 Rear Rotors & Disc Pads: $109.95 (Atlantic British) Land Rover Discovery II Brake Kits - Rear ? Rotors And Pads
2 Rear Brake Calipers (Parts Geek Cardone): $49.23 x 2 = $98.46
ABS Shuttle Valve (Atlantic British): $79.95
2 Tie Rod End Outers (Atlantic British): $29.95 x 2 = $59.90
Set of 4 Coil Springs (Atlantic British): $279.95
$628.21

Stupid question. I have one coil spring broken. They come in a set of 4 for $280 on Atlantic British. I had the front coil springs replaced about 4 years ago or so. Is it possible to purchase a set of rear coil springs somewhere to match (height, etc.) what I have on the front? I don't have any lifts and don't see the need for them on my vehicle as I only use it as a dd. Any suggestions? I noticed that there are coil spring sets on ebay, any thoughts?

Many thanks again for your help.

Christina

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 03-09-2016 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

you can get brake parts from autozone

rear rotors $50 each x 2 = $100

rear pad set $20 (one set is for both sides) I put a set of these cheap rear ones on mine several years ago and still good

rear calipers $67 x 2 = $134...with a lifetime warranty

so about $250 and no shipping costs on any or return shipping should they fail prematurely

you will be charged more up front but after you return your old calipers to autozone you will get the core charge back (tell the mechanic you need the old ones)

I would say a cheap set of rear springs should do the job since you don't do any offroading or rough terrain anyway

you shouldn't need fronts again and that would just be more labor installing fronts

and since you are metal to metal...I would just get the brakes done first and then move on to other things

Last edited by RicketyTick; 03-09-2016 at 07:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 08:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks RT. I'll definitely look into that and ask the guys at autozone if they know of a reputable shade tree mechanic that can help me. I was thinking if I could get all of the parts I need for a reasonable price and find someone to do the hard stuff (or all in one go if possible) then I would have the coil spring seen to as well as the tie rods. The guy at the shop made quite the fuss about the coil spring and said that was his biggest concern besides the brakes so I guess that is why I'm so stressed over it.

Quick Reply: Time to Pack it In?