Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Chain Cover Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Chain Cover Questions

Hello All,

For those of you who may remember (Long story short)I bought a 2003 D2 with 57,000 miles pre vin (oil pump) when I picked it up from the third party it did not start. Later that dealership said it needed an engine.

I finally trailered it home. I started the diagnosis and found the timing chain gears broke, it appears something seized and then pieces broke and the breaking the rest. The cam turns fine, no problems there, the engine cranks fine, no problem there. The oil pump may be seized, haven't taken that apart. Water pump seems fine. The crank is a little scared but nothing that would effect the seal. The lower half of the cover is cracked. I found the prevous service records, the guy serviced it at the dealer regularly.

From all of your experiences:

1) I need a new timing chain cover, I am unsure what to do with the oil pump issue. Will a new cover eliminate the oil pump issue?

2) Can I get a junk yard one from a 2004 and be ok? I really can't afford the 500 to 800 bill for the new ones.

3) Is there a store/shop/website to stay away from?

4) Is there one that has better prices and service?

5) While I have the front taken apart is there anything else I should do while I am there?

6) I am going to need the cover, timing chain kit, crank seal, oil pan gasket, water pump gasket, timing cover gasket, oil pump. Anything else I am missing.

Thanks for all you help. I appreciate this resource. FYI: I am very mechanical and have it at a friends shop who is the best mechanic I have seen. Dealerships from all over bring him vehicles they can't figure out.

CT-now an owner

Old 08-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The problem with the oil pumps is a engine block defect.
There are dowel pins on the block that the front engine cover align with.
Those dowels are out of alignment and cause premature wear on the alignment holes on the front engine cover.
The oil pump is housed inside the front engine cover.
A new front engine cover is a temp fix, only a non defective engine will cure this problem.
I use 2 sites for most of my parts that I cannot get at AutoZone.
www.autosportsunlimited.com If they dont list the part you need on their web site then call them.
www.atlanticbritish.com
Also check your local deal for parts pricing, I have found that most parts are cheaper at the dealer after you include shipping from a online source.
Example, I needed a new bulb socket for a rear bumper turn signal.
$4.95 at AB, another $5 for shipping.
Dealer...$7.
I saved $3 and had the part the same day.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:17 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Roverguy.com is also a good place for parts. He is just one guy but he get's stuff out fast, takes payments paypal though which I hate but the price is right.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks guys, I will check them all out. I appreciate explaining the oil pump/cover issue. Thanks.

Anyone heard of a problem like this before?

Old 08-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Before you order parts, tear down the pump and see if the dowel pins are broken, is any are broken, don't go any farther cause at that point there is nothing you can do but look for a replacement.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Three Wheeling

www.RoverGuy.com saved me money, thanks for the tip. I saved $50.00 over Atlantic British even with shipping. He takes visa/mastercard too.