Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this timing chain misaligned?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 04:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Is this timing chain misaligned?

Is this chain off by a tooth or is it aligned properly? I turned the engine to TDC before removing the old chain, didn’t turn anything without the chain on, then put the new chain on as an assembly. When I was putting the chain on the sprockets it seemed obvious when it was one tooth off - I did that to check that I had the marks aligned. I believe the keys made it so I couldn’t put the new chain on one tooth off even if I wanted to.

About the slack in the chain, when the engine is cranked (to the driver’s side in a US-model vehicle as if to tighten the crank bolt) and the chain is tight on one side and slack on the other side, is that how I’m supposed to check this or does the chain tension need to be equal on either side, like if I pinch the chain hard or turn the engine backward slightly? I’ve turned the engine about 6 times and it feels ok to me - I don’t hear anything that sounds bad and can’t feel anything hitting or stopping it from moving. I’m not sure what the signs of being one tooth off would be.

The first image shows the original chain and the second is the new chain. I’m hoping to get confirmation that this is ready before I put the cover on. Sorry the first image angle isn’t straight-on - I was pretty sure I had the marks lined up, though. Thank you

Old 08-28-2022, 04:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

If it were my Disco, I'd button it back up. Looks good to me. Just get some motor oil on the chain first.

The following 2 users liked this post by Brandon318:
JohnZo (08-30-2022), neuropathy (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 05:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks, I think it’s aligned, but wanted to be absolutely sure.

I cleaned all the bolt threads and got everything prepared to install the front cover today - I’ll use red right stuff on the long bolts that touch coolant and black right stuff on the other bolts.

I got some oil on the chain just dripping and smearing it by hand, but I can do that while turning the engine to get it coated a bit more.