Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for installing the downpipes to exhaust manifold? Still getting a leak there.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 12:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts
Default Tips for installing the downpipes to exhaust manifold? Still getting a leak there.

Hey all! Round two of replacing the gasket between the manifold and down pipe (Y pipe). I did it last week and still had a leak from there. Decided to try again with OEM gaskets. Last week, I had the connection between the Y pipe and resonator loose, should I do that again? The surfaces are flat and clean, so not sure how the leak can persist, yet it did. Seems straightforward and super simple, but for some reason I'm having trouble.

Old 10-01-2020, 02:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

I would loosen the Y pipe outlet and try again. That style connection allows for some alignment so it could be holding the Y pipe at a funny angle.

Old 10-01-2020, 03:40 PM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm having the same issue, at first there was no leak after a new gasket. But every two days or so when the engine was cool, I would re-torque the nuts. It took about 4 re-torque events before the nuts stopped turning, and now the leak is back. I'm going to try and stack two OEM gaskets (used aftermarket the first time) and see how that works out. Currently there is no sealant that I know of that can handle the heat right there, I've measured upwards of 600f at that joint, so that rules out copper RTV. Hoping to get that done next week, fingers crossed!

Rhys L.

Old 10-01-2020, 06:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Back in the day when I had MG's and Triumphs, there was something called "exhaust putty"... let's see if I can find it... yes, Permatex makes some called "80335 Muffler and Tailpipe Sealer." There are other brands too. The stuff cures with heat and is more like concrete or mortar, but when it's wet it actually makes it easier to slide pipes into proper alignment. It seals gaps between manifolds and downpipes, and between sliding pipe sections that telescope into one another and then use U-bolts for clamping.

I had the same problem when my Y-pipe on RRC blew a hole in it and I needed to get it welded up. It was easiest to disconnect the rear pipe from the Y-pipe, and then lightly connect the two downpipes on the Y-pipe to the headers before lightly reconnecting the rear pipe. I remember needing to buy three new forcing rings or whatever you call those thingies... my originals were rusted and had pits in them that prevented tight sealing. I also needed to take a wire brush to the mating surfaces on the Y-pipe's downtubes because they were slightly pitted too. OK, that's all out of order, but you can figure it out.

The caveat about the exhaust putty is that when you take it apart, it sticks to steel just as strongly as concrete, and I used a hammer and chisel to clean it off of an old Spitfire's pipes after I overhauled its engine.

Good luck,
Scott

Old 10-01-2020, 07:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Loosen the joint downstream and then tighten the y-pipe. Then retighten the joint

Old 10-02-2020, 11:05 AM
Pro Wrench

Follow-up, this is the reason why it kept leaking despite new gaskets. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...t-leak-102344/

Old 10-03-2020, 04:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

I have the same problem - it is still leaking after new gaskets and several re-torque attempts. To me it looks like the Y-pipe measurements are off, so it can never seal properly on both ends. I will try it again with a beads of Permatex 81878. Some people suggested that here and in other forums.

Old 10-03-2020, 04:40 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Discorama
I have the same problem - it is still leaking after new gaskets and several re-torque attempts. To me it looks like the Y-pipe measurements are off, so it can never seal properly on both ends. I will try it again with a beads of Permatex 81878. Some people suggested that here and in other forums.
I’d advise against fluid applied gaskets. Something else is wrong, and it’s quite likely there are cracks at the flange. I missed seeing mine twice. They’re sneaky. Ha

Old 10-03-2020, 09:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

With soapy water applied to the connection and pressurized air into the end pipe it bubbles like crazy at the gaskets, but nowhere else. My leak is not severe, if noticeable at all, it just gets exposed when doing a pressure test. When I installed new gaskets I cleaned and inspected the flanges and they looked fine. I believe it is more likely that the Y-pipe deforms over time due to the heat cycles. As soon as the bolts between the manifold and the Y-pipe get lose a little bit (mine were quite lose) the pipe won't be kept in its original shape.

Maybe one could heat up the pipe with a torch so it becomes soft and the connection can be torqued so it finally seals.

Last edited by Discorama; 10-03-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:47 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

I had tiny leaks there that went away when it warmed up, finally tightened the nuts on a cold morning and that solved the problem. I had leaks everywhere after having a new Y pipe installed. Fix one and the next would appear. Lol. First the downpipes, then the joint in the one side of the Y, then the flange at the cat back.