Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Chains

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012 | 05:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by BMW
The thing is I think I could find some chains for cheap, I saw a set on CL locally for $75 a while back, that were for a LR dico 2(would there be a difference anyways if they were for the same tire size?) and in a situation in which, say, you had to cross a river because a bridge is out because the apocalypse has started and you had time to put on the chains, they would probably be better suited for this task than all season tires alone?
If you can find cheap chains go for it but a new set will lighten your wallet by $150 or $300...odd thing is here that the LR owners manual say only to put chains on the front (i believe...or its the back) and AB says you need all the way around. I would probably agree that you want 4 all the way around so that you are causing equal stress throughout the system.

Also, i think you will put the chains on once, take them off once and never put them on again... its going to be a 15min job with clean tires in your garage with plently of light...but will take probably 45-60 when your in the middle of a snow storm or 2" deep in mud...

If you really want extra traction at the flip of a switch (lever) get a CDL in there. The CDL will provide more than enough traction for the apocalypse and will cost you the same as chains or about half the price of new tires.

Or put your tires up on craigs...and get new ones.

Or get a set of 16" rims (you can get a used set for around $100) then go to treadwright and get the tread that will fit your needs (mild to super aggressive) for about half the price of any name brand tire. and now you can switch back and forth on the weekends your off fighting zombies.

I was in the same boat as you my friend...had new tires but wanted more traction...so I went with all of the above...sort of....bought the chains before i had a CDL and tires (great x-mas gift), to get me through the winter...never needed them....then i bought a set of 16s and some diggers from treadwright.

I switch to the 16s w/treadwrights when i am hitting the trail then put my 18s w/street tires on for towing, long drives, improved mpg...well at least back to where i started....

Old 11-16-2012 | 01:17 AM
BMW
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by nychaze
If you can find cheap chains go for it but a new set will lighten your wallet by $150 or $300...odd thing is here that the LR owners manual say only to put chains on the front (i believe...or its the back) and AB says you need all the way around. I would probably agree that you want 4 all the way around so that you are causing equal stress throughout the system.

Also, i think you will put the chains on once, take them off once and never put them on again... its going to be a 15min job with clean tires in your garage with plently of light...but will take probably 45-60 when your in the middle of a snow storm or 2" deep in mud...

If you really want extra traction at the flip of a switch (lever) get a CDL in there. The CDL will provide more than enough traction for the apocalypse and will cost you the same as chains or about half the price of new tires.

Or put your tires up on craigs...and get new ones.

Or get a set of 16" rims (you can get a used set for around $100) then go to treadwright and get the tread that will fit your needs (mild to super aggressive) for about half the price of any name brand tire. and now you can switch back and forth on the weekends your off fighting zombies.

I was in the same boat as you my friend...had new tires but wanted more traction...so I went with all of the above...sort of....bought the chains before i had a CDL and tires (great x-mas gift), to get me through the winter...never needed them....then i bought a set of 16s and some diggers from treadwright.

I switch to the 16s w/treadwrights when i am hitting the trail then put my 18s w/street tires on for towing, long drives, improved mpg...well at least back to where i started....
My guess is I will follow a similar path to you, pick up some chains for now, then install the CLD lever (or if needed I could just shimmy under the truck and activate it by hand, then pick up a nice set of aggressive tread tires on 16's. Then I will probably just continue to use my street tires...

Old 11-16-2012 | 07:05 AM
Baja

To be clear, it's best to have chains on all 4 wheels, but if you only have one set then on the front is best when off-roading.
You're being very optimistic thinking 15min for all 4 wheels, even in the garage. Also, you usually have to stop and adjust them after driving some. Chains need to be really tight on the tires.

Old 11-16-2012 | 09:24 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BMW
then install the CLD lever
How hard is this and what does the interior look like before/after?

My disco is pretty torn apart right now including some/much of the interior. The PO was a smoker (ughh...) so it's a great time for me to add this lever since everything from the HVAC to most of the interior trim is off to remove the ashes, tar, grossness that smokers cause, etc.

Old 11-16-2012 | 09:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Old 11-16-2012 | 09:50 AM
Banned

Z has it arrived yet???????????

Old 11-16-2012 | 09:52 AM
Camel Trophy

The A-pillar?

Old 11-16-2012 | 09:56 AM
Banned

Yes sir?

Old 11-16-2012 | 10:08 AM
Camel Trophy

Yeah you didn't check the parts thread? I got it yesterday, thanks!

Old 11-16-2012 | 10:17 AM
Banned

Nope sorry:-) thats great also i maybe able to acquire a 04 shifter in the next week or so! Okay sorry dude i am done taking over your thread

Quick Reply: Tire Chains