Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Review : Nokian WR-G2 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 03:31 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Review : Nokian WR-G2 Tires

Well, I have FINALLY gotten around to writing a recommendation for the Nokian WR-G2 tires. Personally, i've had every single "popular" brand tires (eg. Michelin, Bridgestone, BFG) on my car and they are not even close to as good as these Nokians. Not many people know about these tires so here's some info off their website:

Inside – Outside Design Tread Pattern - Tread pattern differs on the inside of the tire and the outside shoulder of the tire for the best handling on wet and dry pavement
• Driving Safety Indicator - DSI system uses number blocks displayed in the center of the tread area, indicating the safety level and remaining tread depth in millimeters
• 3-D Self-Locking Siping - The self-locking siping located in the central rib supports the tire in the lateral and longitudinal direction, and particularly improves driving stability and wet grip
• Water Wipe System - Ensures that the tread is pressed firmly against the pavement to prevent hydroplaning and slushplaning when braking
• Canola Oil and Cool Silica Tread Compounds - These compounds combined improve winter wet grip and reduces tire rolling resistance saving fuel without compromising its winter capabilities
• Respecting the Environment - Manufacturing Process uses only low aromatic, purified oils
• Severe Service Emblem - Only four-season family of tires that carries the Severe Service Emblem exceeding new government snow condition regulations

These tires are an all season performance tire...yet they perform better in snow than any dedicated winter tires I’ve ever owned.

These tires are quieter than anything i have ever driven on before, which was a big concern to me.

Overall a great tire, my only complaint was i wish they would've lasted a little bit longer. I got about 40,000 miles out of them. Regardless, i am ordering another set today.

I ordered through TiresByWeb.com and I was really satisfied with their service. They gave me $20 off on my tires and they came with free shipping as well.

Hope this has been helpful.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Freakin spam. Who the hell would put these on a Rover?

Old 10-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Three Wheeling

If I ever see those on a Land Rover I'm kicking them.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the tread and thought I would add to it.

I brought these for my 2007 LR3. I've been very happy with the tries. They are excellent on the Highway in heavy rain, and in slushy roads or snowy roads. I think they are quite quiet, not providing too much road noise. I've rotated mine about 3 times, usually about every 10K kms (although one of my rotation was at about 22K due to laziness and a busy schedule). I also like them in the limited off-road I've done to the cottage. Mud, and driving through small streams I had zero issues. In the images I'm attaching I've captured the module info, and the current DSI level.

I expect to get beyond 60K km with them.

* Yes my tires are dirty, Sunday is car washing day in my household.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by humroot
Those of us who live in the snow belt.
Nothing better than a good set of snow tires while trying to stop on black ice.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dms6601
I saw the tread and thought I would add to it.

I brought these for my 2007 LR3. I've been very happy with the tries. They are excellent on the Highway in heavy rain, and in slushy roads or snowy roads. I think they are quite quiet, not providing too much road noise. I've rotated mine about 3 times, usually about every 10K kms (although one of my rotation was at about 22K due to laziness and a busy schedule). I also like them in the limited off-road I've done to the cottage. Mud, and driving through small streams I had zero issues. In the images I'm attaching I've captured the module info, and the current DSI level.

I expect to get beyond 60K km with them.

* Yes my tires are dirty, Sunday is car washing day in my household.

So how many miles do you have on them now?

- Ryan

Old 09-21-2012, 10:06 AM
3rd Gear

Thank you DMS6601. I am not really tech savvy enough to be able to upload a picture of these tires on my rover but i am in love with them. I've currently gotten about 10,000 miles out of my second set that i bought last year and i am very glad to hear you are getting such good tread life on yours, it gives me hope that i can still get the same out of my second set!
I always recommend these tires to my fellow Land Rover owners because there simply is no substitute for a tire that you can use all year but still gives you excellent handling in the snow/ice.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by humroot
Originally Posted by DaveBFoto
If I ever see those on a Land Rover I'm kicking them.
Funny how the two guys trolling this thread live in areas that scarcely or never see snow and ice...

Old 09-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Drifting

Ryan,

I'm at 63K km on them now, had them last rotated by frisby tire in ottawa (where I bought them) on the 15th. Since May, I've been all over the North Eastern US (NY, CT, VT, NH, MA, ME (not in that order).) , and throughout Ontario and Quebec. When I asked Frisby how much longer do I have them, all they said was there was plenty of thread on them. Then they showed me another wear indicator that I didn't know about. I love these tires, today I'm back from a 1600 km trip driving through the North Eastern States. Hopefully I'll make a trip down to VA in October. Love these tires.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Drifting
Default Nokian wear

Once I get around to ordering another set, which will probably be in May or June of 2013, I'll do a proper review. Having this set I've decided that paying a little more for good service is worth it with the tires. If your in Ottawa area Frisby Tire has been good to deal with. I could have saved 60 bucks but with the services they provided I think I've offsetted that cost.

Quick Reply: Tire Review : Nokian WR-G2 Tires