Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire selection advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire selection advice

I am getting my first new tires on my 99 disco II and currently running 255/65/16 michelins however they are 209.00/ tire and I can't afford them what sizes and brands should I get? can I just buy 2 now and 2 in a month to cut the cost? I see 245/75 are cheaper and better selection

thank you
Ben

Old 03-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: tire selection advice

You MUST replace all four at the same time. You have a full-time-four-wheel-drive trk, NOT a AWD trk and that means that all four wheels are turning at the same speed when you are going down the road and different tires will put extra strain on the drive train.
Even if you went with the same size, tires get smaller as they wear.
What kind of driving do you do? Do you off road at all or just a little?
I really like the Cooper S/T but would also consider the General Grabber AT2.
http://www.generaltire.com/generator...master_en.html
http://www.coopertire.com/Flash/index.aspx
And yes a 245 series will give you a lot bigger selection to choose from. 245/75/16 is a good size.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:08 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah you cant put just two on. I am also in this process, and I am looking at general grabbers and they seem to have a fair price, that is if you want to do a little off roading. But other than the brand, I can tell you where to get a cheap bit of work done. Sam's Club. If you have one, I would check and see if they have a tire you want. The labor is cheaper, as well as the tires. Any other large store like that might do tires, even though is discount stuff it usually same quality, just doing buy store brand. Other than that stay away from goodyear, they are having issues with quality right now and they arent getting very good reviews. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Shop around, order on line if need be cause there are much better prices then what you have mentioned. My tire size for your would also be a 245,75,16.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Three Wheeling

I do all on road easy going driving, but being i live in Minnesota we get some ice and snow for 4-5 months out of the year... I would like to get Kumho's because they are good price, and the reviews seem to be good, but not sure if they are too cheap

Old 03-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Shop around, you should be able to do a lot better. Fleet Farm (in your area) always has good tire sales going on. They will be hard to beat for tire deals. I was going to go with some Fleet/Farm tires and I called Firestone just for the heck of it. It was on the weekend of the last college football game of the year. The guy said he would match the sale price I got from Fleet/Farm because they are usually really slow during college football weekends. He took about $100 off the price he originally quoted me, I told him I would bring them in off the vehicle. I got Fireston Destination LE's. They are pretty good tires. Just the right combination of on-road/off-road tread design.

Call Fleet Farm up (in your area). They'll be cheaper than Sams.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:20 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mark G

Shop around, you should be able to do a lot better. Fleet Farm (in your area) always has good tire sales going on.

Call Fleet Farm up (in your area). They'll be cheaper than Sams.
I thought Fleet farm (the company itself) filed chapter 11 a few years ago?? All of them closed that I know of, but hey, if they are still around go for it! Wow i seriously thought that company went under forever, but i guess not.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Nope.
Here's the link;
http://www.fleetfarm.com/

Old 03-16-2008, 02:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Timely thread. Went to Discount Tire today to have the tires rotated and balanced and they found a nail in the sidewall of one of them which can't be repaired. Since they were the OEM tires with 41K on them, replacing just one wouldn't have been suitable so $950 later I have 4 new BFG All Terrain T/A KOs in the 245/75/16 size, per Mike's recommendation.

I like the look- slightly more aggressive, but still understated. This size adds .7" to the ride height, which will be a nice help off road this summer. I know I could have paid less but the no hassle free rotation and balance, and free road hazzard warranty for the life of the tire at a local shop is worth the extra bucks to me.

It's supposed to snow pretty heavily here in the next couple of days, so I'll get to try them out. BTW- this is the 3rd set of All Terrain T/As I've owned on different vehicles over the years and they wear like iron. I noticed a slightly stiffer ride with the new tires today, but still quite comfortable for highway use- a good compromise.

Mike, I'll keep up on the Solihull Society site. Looking forward to wheeling with you this summer. Thanks for all of the great help and advice on this site.

Dave

Old 03-18-2008, 05:21 PM
7th Gear

I've had General Grabber AT2s for about 10K miles now and am very happy. Got them from tirerack for about $85 each and had them delivered directly to a local shop that installed them for about $15 each.

Quick Reply: tire selection advice