Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires and OME 3in Finally On...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010 | 05:37 PM
|
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tires and OME 3in Finally On...

So I was up until 1am installing my OME kit and steering stabilizer last night (Part#'s are in my sig). And before you say anything, yes, I am an idiot. I forgot to take measurements before I installed the kit and didn't even think about photos during. SORRY... I was so excited to get busy after work I just jacked it and started ripping into it, like a kid on Christmas morning.

First I want to say that the '99-02 have different bolt sizes than the '03-04, so if you watch Justin's video know that he is using a '02 for his demo.

Hints/Tips:

1. If you don't have a 18mm speed wrench (ratchet wrench) you might just want to buy one. It makes top/bottom of the shocks on both ends WAY easier.
2. This is also what you will use on the sway bars F/B as well.
3. WD-40 all bolts a few times 30-0min before dismantle.
4. If you don't have a 10-12in extension for the 2 nuts on the bottom of the front tower (each side) you might want to invest in one or you will have to reach from the wheel well and take them 1/8th of a turn at a time.
5. Putting the driver’s side bolt in the steering stabilizer first is the only way I could get the other side on.
6. Make sure you disconnect the ABS sensors before lowering the axel all the way...
7. You have to move the coolant tank out of the way to get the passenger side shock up and out.
8. You have to move the MAF and intake piping out of the way to get the shock up and out of the driver’s side. Mind the A/C and or power steering lines.
9. I had my rack off and WAS able to get the truck back out of my 7ft garage door after the kit was installed. Barely though...

I then got my new 275/65/R18E Goodyear DuraTrac's installed this morning. After inverting my spare tire carrier I had about 1/3-1/5 of an inch space between the tire and the bumper. I will give a good ride report after a month or so.

I put a Vigg hood black-out on the other night. And Sunday I put Farmtec flooring, 4 Hella 700FF and a Hella dual bulb work lamp on my Safety Devises rack.

If you ever need help deciding what lift to do or would like a great price/service/support for you truck I would call Justin at Lucky8 – he is awesome and a great LR resource.

Name:  100_0756.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  161.2 KB
Name:  100_0757.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  152.4 KB
Name:  100_0758.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  158.8 KB
Name:  100_0759.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  167.1 KB

Old 02-02-2010 | 05:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

looks great man!

Old 02-02-2010 | 09:56 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great! How much room do you have left on the brake lines/abs lines with the 3in lift? Is there any concern for overextending them? I'm trying to decide between the 2'' and 3''.

Old 02-02-2010 | 10:36 PM
|
Winching
Wink

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
looks great man!

Thanks-

Originally Posted by discoinchatty
Looks great! How much room do you have left on the brake lines/abs lines with the 3in lift? Is there any concern for overextending them? I'm trying to decide between the 2'' and 3''.

I had the truck supported by 2 jack stands on the frame and once i had the sway bar and shocks back together i let the suspension free hang and the lines were not tight. Then I jacked up on one radius arm then the other while letting the opposite side hang and still i had slack. Just for good measure I am going to get ABS extensions and 2in longer brake lines next month when I do the EBC brake kit upgrade.

My plans for the truck next week are winch/bumper/sliders. I have a '00 t-case that I got at a salvage yard that I might mate with my '03 and then find an '04 linkage, but I am trying to just possibly find the whole '04 setup before I commit to piecing my CDL together. Then next month brakes/lines/ABS, radius arms, and start the armoring of everything underneath the truck...

When deciding what springs to go with ask yourself; what size tires am I going to run? what is this truck really going to be used for? Do i have kids that ride in the back of this truck or any special cargo? Do i want to do a nice mild lift with some tires and have it still functional and about stock gas mileage? Or do you want to go down an expensive road that starts with a 3in lift and will inevitably ruin your marriage because she says that all you talk/think about is the truck, you have to hind receipts, and like an equation once you change one part you have to change another and so on and so on and so on. LOL

Sorry I ran on... Did I answer your question? LOL

Old 02-03-2010 | 12:09 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long did it take you to install the setup? I will probably be doing the same thing to mine soon and I am curious as to what I am getting myself into

Old 02-03-2010 | 12:50 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by rj95lss
9. I had my rack off and WAS able to get the truck back out of my 7ft garage door after the kit was installed. Barely though...
Dude !! It looks awesome !! LMAO on the note above !! Pictured you going through all that in the garage and having to air down your tires to flat to get out of the garage !! Kind of like a ship in a bottle !!

Looking forward to hearing your input on the Goodyears down the road. Oh...and I keep a shredder in my garage for my Land Rover receipts...

Old 02-03-2010 | 08:19 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW looks great! No more garage for you!

I have a million questions...
How long did it take?
Did you use any air tools?
What was the hardest part?
Where does the wiring for the rack lights enter the vehicle?
What is the height improvement or measurement from hub center to lip of fender?
Are you glad you did 3" vs 2"?
Did you use spring seats or trim packer for sag in the rear?

Last edited by gowest; 02-03-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-03-2010 | 09:06 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by gowest

How long did it take?
Yeah, what he said. Especially the last bit. Well done.

Old 02-03-2010 | 10:01 AM
|
Winching

Originally Posted by dnorrell
How long did it take you to install the setup? I will probably be doing the same thing to mine soon and I am curious as to what I am getting myself into

Not counting stopping to eat dinner and phone calls about another truck I put on craigslist I would say 4hr's total.

Old 02-03-2010 | 10:11 AM
|
Winching

Originally Posted by gowest

How long did it take?

It took about 4hr.
NO air tools used.
The hardest part was aligning the 2 bolts inside the bottom of the front shock.
All of the wires come in and run down the molding along the passenger side of the windshield. I will take pictures of this for you, but I am going to do a separate post so that people can search for it down the road.
As I said before, I am an idiot, I did NOT take measurements before because I was so excited to get started and forgot. But just buy looks I would say 4in up in the front and 3in up in the rear. I will go ahead a take measurement now though.
I am going to opt to not answer the "glad" question... LOL But seriously, YES, I am glad I went the 3in as I plan to do much more to this truck.
NO, seats/packers needed as I am adding a winch/bumper soon and it should level it out just fine. Also I used 751 springs in the front and 763 in the rear which will yield a 3in lift no matter what I do or add to this truck.

Quick Reply: Tires and OME 3in Finally On...