Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TJM air locker

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 01:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default TJM air locker

Hey all, was wondering if anybody was running a TJM air locker? If, so what year D2 and what part number from TJM. Also if you had any problems with install. Thanks in advance

Old 03-19-2019, 02:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just ordered an Ashcroft for mine. Good customer support, replacement parts (if necessary) and all solid reviews. Plus it’s priced better than the ARB unit.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Dsport
I just ordered an Ashcroft for mine. Good customer support, replacement parts (if necessary) and all solid reviews. Plus it’s priced better than the ARB unit.
yeah thats what I should have done! This will also serve as a lesson learned.. One of our club members bought a TJM for his 04 D2 (P38 style diff) it wouldnt fit! Everyone in club figured they sent the one for early D2 so I took it off his hands for my 99 D2, guess what, it wont fit either. So now we believe it will only fit a Range Rover P38 rear diff. Gonna try and find someone with a P38 to see if they want a locker and try it out. TJM parts availability in US really bad, I asked how long would it take to get one and I was told about 3 months. Unless I paid air freight for an extra $200 ish.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

Yes, ashcroft seems to be the way to go. They're on my wishlist

Did you get a full diff from Ashcroft? I want to peg it, and by pricing out the difference of rebuilding the diff myself, vs paying aschroft ~$1,400 per diff to do everything for me.. it's kind of a no-brainer to order a complete diff. the difference is like 150 bucks. It would be fun to rebuild them... but hard to justify the savings

Old 03-20-2019, 12:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Spam2021
yeah thats what I should have done! This will also serve as a lesson learned.. One of our club members bought a TJM for his 04 D2 (P38 style diff) it wouldnt fit! Everyone in club figured they sent the one for early D2 so I took it off his hands for my 99 D2, guess what, it wont fit either. So now we believe it will only fit a Range Rover P38 rear diff. Gonna try and find someone with a P38 to see if they want a locker and try it out. TJM parts availability in US really bad, I asked how long would it take to get one and I was told about 3 months. Unless I paid air freight for an extra $200 ish.
I’m sorry to hear that :/
I was under the impression that all the disco diffs were the same? Even the d1 with the exception of the input flange.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Yes, ashcroft seems to be the way to go. They're on my wishlist

Did you get a full diff from Ashcroft? I want to peg it, and by pricing out the difference of rebuilding the diff myself, vs paying aschroft ~$1,400 per diff to do everything for me.. it's kind of a no-brainer to order a complete diff. the difference is like 150 bucks. It would be fun to rebuild them... but hard to justify the savings
I picked up just the locker unit itself, unless you regear, there isn’t really a reason to pick up a full diff. IMO if you are able to pull it out, you can set it up. It’s not rocket science. I used to set up diffs by feel, you can feel proper backlash. Just take note of what it felt like before you take it apart.

That at being said, if you change your gearing, pull out the dykem pen, indicator, and be prepared to spend a couple hours shimming+ setting backlash. A pro can get it done in no time, but im not a pro.

I chose not to peg, was told it wasn’t necessary. Maybe with a 4.7 it would be. But the 4.1 even 4.37 should be fine, also anything above 35” you’d want to peg. But that’s kinda the assumption if you’re running >4.37 gearing.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:58 PM
Three Wheeling

I’m sorry to hear that :/
I was under the impression that all the disco diffs were the same? Even the d1 with the exception of the input flange.

ok so I found out the locker I have is in fact compatible with the late 02-04 Disco 2 rear end. My buddy had other issues and thats why he couldnt use the locker. I'm not sure on D1 rear ends.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

D1/RRC/D2/Defender 24 spline will all be the same

Old 03-20-2019, 03:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

I picked up just the locker unit itself, unless you regear, there isn’t really a reason to pick up a full diff. IMO if you are able to pull it out, you can set it up. It’s not rocket science. I used to set up diffs by feel, you can feel proper backlash. Just take note of what it felt like before you take it apart.

That at being said, if you change your gearing, pull out the dykem pen, indicator, and be prepared to spend a couple hours shimming+ setting backlash. A pro can get it done in no time, but im not a pro.

I chose not to peg, was told it wasn’t necessary. Maybe with a 4.7 it would be. But the 4.1 even 4.37 should be fine, also anything above 35” you’d want to peg. But that’s kinda the assumption if you’re running >4.37 gearing.
Yeah, I'm looking to re-gear to 4.12 - ashcroft doesn't offer 4.11 - with 315/75r16. I have 1.41 gears in the transfer box... kind of wish I stayed at 1.2 or even went to 1.0 when I rebuilt the t-case, but 35's (okay, 34.6's) weren't in the cards at the time. 4.12 is a little too much for my setup, but 3.75 is too little. Add up the price of the locker, HD gears, bearings, misc parts, pegging kit, plus your time (and downtime), welding costs, and it doesn't seem to make sense to do your own diff rebuild.

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 03-20-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:16 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
D1/RRC/D2/Defender 24 spline will all be the same
10/2002-2004 D2 came with the P38 style Diff. If you look for air lockers, they will be different part number for that year D2, or same locker plus a spacer plate for ring gear.

Quick Reply: TJM air locker