Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today was a bad day.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:59 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Today was a bad day.

Well guys, today I almost got into a head-on collision. About a mile from home, an opposing driver swerved into my lane at about 45mph and I just barely reacted fast enough to get out of the way. I am safe, but my Disco didn't make it out so great. They clipped my drivers side rear, tearing up the entire lower panel and bending my AB HD bumper all to hell. Among the damages, I'm pretty sure my rim and tire are effed as well. And the worst part is that it was a hit and run. The police made their report, but there isn't much to track them down other than the knowledge that they have a completely shattered rim and headlight. Pieces of the rim were laying in the road (I moved them all). They couldn't have made it very far. Unfortunately I didn't get a vehicle color or anything, as it was darkening out. Luckily, I did have a witness. I hope they catch the bastard.

I'm a combination of upset and angry. This thing is my baby.

And the irony of the situation is that I was scheduled to meet a claims adjuster tomorrow to get some minor damage looked at. Needless to say, that appointment has been flipped around. God I hate my $1000 collision deductible.

Attached is a pic of the damage...

Attached Thumbnails Today was a bad day.-photo-jan-22-8-37-45-pm.jpg  
Old 01-22-2015, 10:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I can commiserate. A year ago November we bought my wife a new car. We keep cars forever so she was happy with the new one. We still had the temporary license plate from the dealer when a young Marine who was home on holiday leave slid into the back of the new car on the ice. He was driving his dad's Dodge truck. We got out and I took pictures and we exchanged information. I photographed his proof of insurance and told him to go to the police substation to fill out his portion of the accident report since we were on the bad weather accident reporting plan. I called my agent, we started a claim with their insurance company and I drove to the police substation to report the accident. He never filled out his part of the report. His insurance was no longer in effect and neither he nor his dad will respond to multiple calls. Our insurance (along with our deductible) repaired our car and has half-heartedly started to subrogate. My next move is to contact the Marine Corps.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:59 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I commiserate with you both. I detest scum who commit hit and runs or fail to insure the vehicles properly. This is not unique to the US it seems as it happens in the UK and europe and on average 30%+ drivers are not insured and not licenced to drive. It seems an ever increasing malady as world economics push towards deflation and a lack of cash. Mind you, there are those who would always fail to insure or continue to drink drive in most societies. The threat of prison doesn't seem to phase these low lifers.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:59 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That sucks. Looks like your bumper took with worst of it. I good shop will get her patched back up for you.

To join the complaining about bad luck.....I bought my wife a brand new Subaru last month. We live in the road salt capital of USA (MI) so decided to do the rust proofing and undercoating. I brought it home from the dealer, parked in the garage for a couple days, took it to the shop that was doing the work. It now HAD 65 MILES ON THE CLOCK. They smashed the front end of it, literally inside the shop. $2500 of damage to a brand new car. I was less than pleased. Guess what they hit with it????? A Disco that was parked in side. Anyway, I feel your pain. They'll put your car back together but really sucks to have to have one fixed.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

holy shmoly...that sucks. all of your stories make me angry. beside the pricey repairs, deductibles, uninsured motorists, and down time, aggravating on so many levels.

i hope each turns out like it's supposed to: seamless repairs, no downtime, responsible parties take ... well ... responsibility!

i had a bmw in for my long list of (procrastinated) attention, along with its regularly scheduled maintenance. while it was getting tires rotated, an employee of the shop ran another customer's car into mine. i kept getting told is was a ding. yeah...well...it was a ding so bad that they had to get a new rear passenger door FROM GERMANY! (in this vast land of consumerism, from sea to shining sea, a bmw door could not be found...curious) we had only two cars at the time, and now only one was available. we could rent one to get us through *oh thank you ins industry*, but we had to pay first, and then we'd get reimbursed.

it took them 5 weeks to order/receive door, and then get the car buttoned up, even after that, i was at the shop 4 times asking them to fine tune what they didn't get right the first time, like the weather stripping installed incorrectly, and the window frame for the quarter fixed window cut and fitted correctly, instead of looking like it was cut by a hack saw and shoved in place.