Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toggle switch for CDL sensor/light?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toggle switch for CDL sensor/light?

I have a 2000 D2 that I managed to find an 04 CDL shift mechanism for and installed it. Love the extra traction and the ability to have the selective traction control but if you absent mindedly shut off the vehicle with the CDL engaged you lose TC etc and sometimes have to maneuver the vehicle a distance to get the CDL to disengage before restarting to engage the TC again. I have read that some people disconect the CDL sensor/light entirely but you lose the ability to engage CDL and disable TC. The other downside is that for absent minded people you lose the light to remind you that you have CDL engaged. How hard would it be to install a toggle switch on the sensor/light circut so that if you do shut off the vehicle you could just flip it without having to shift the linkage and move the vehicle to disengage CDL before you can enable TC again? Has anyone done this, or am I way off base here?

Old 08-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Way off------- i don't understand why you would leave the "cdl" engaged if you don't need it?

Old 08-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
Way off------- i don't understand why you would leave the "cdl" engaged if you don't need it?
It is a lot easier to leave it engaged after you no longer need it if the indicator light is not functional. This situation may be specific to me as I do a lot of glassing with a spotting scope and window mount which sometimes requires shutting off the vehicle quickly to do so and sometimes in some not so pleasant spots. I am normally thinking about what I am looking at and not shifting out the cdl to maintain TC on restart. It has been an issue on occasion, but is probably more a matter of convenience than necessity. I probably purchased a D2 that I did not need as a matter of convenience/desire anyway. I have no doubt that my needs/wants might be way off or different from yours. I was simply asking how compatible this would be with the vehicle.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:47 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you keep searching there is a way to do it like you want, I remember reading the "how too" a couple years ago. It may have been on another site.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The switch makes an earth connection that alerts the SLABS of the switch position (pilot in command input), and turns on the instrument cluster lamp. If you break the line from pin one of connector C0761, a black and blue wire, that is the same as operating the switch electrically. Light should go out and SLABS thinks you have it off. If you want dash lamp to stay on but have SLABS think switch is off break pin 3 instead, same color wire. You can also have some sort of illuminated switch that you add to remind you that you are in electrical bypass.

Note: You may create an unsafe condition by "fooling" the SLABS, and endanger your health and the size of your wallet. I don't know the internal programming of the SLABS. Test carefully in an area where you can't hit another vehicle, tree, rear garage wall, child, dog, etc.

Location of connector atached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 761-1.pdf (557.8 KB, 127 views)
Old 08-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
The switch makes an earth connection that alerts the SLABS of the switch position (pilot in command input), and turns on the instrument cluster lamp. If you break the line from pin one of connector C0761, a black and blue wire, that is the same as operating the switch electrically. Light should go out and SLABS thinks you have it off. If you want dash lamp to stay on but have SLABS think switch is off break pin 3 instead, same color wire. You can also have some sort of illuminated switch that you add to remind you that you are in electrical bypass.

Note: You may create an unsafe condition by "fooling" the SLABS, and endanger your health and the size of your wallet. I don't know the internal programming of the SLABS. Test carefully in an area where you can't hit another vehicle, tree, rear garage wall, child, dog, etc.

Location of connector atached.
Thank you for the diagrams! I remember reading a detailed thread on this but I cannot seem to find it now. So the pin 3 circuit is the one that has been disabled by some of the members when the linkage is installed to keep SLABS from disabling TC on startup? I have no desire to adversely affect any of the computer systems, but I wonder if anyone who has disabled it has had any issues?

Old 08-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

If you buy a SLABS computer from an 03 or 04 it works with the CDL and you don't have to cut any wires.