Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was told that the Texas Refineries Closing due to IKE

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:38 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Was told that the Texas Refineries Closing due to IKE

Spike - I agree that as long as demand for oil is high the price will stay high. That's basic economics.

The new Dodge diesels, and even big truck diesels, use a particulate filter that is a pain in the butt. The things clogs up every time you tow a trailer on the new Dodge and you have to drop the trailer and run down the road to regenerate the filter. I'll take the old tried and true 5.9 Cummins any day.

It seems to me that if German auto makers, e.g. Mercedes and Volkswagen, can get their diesels EPA certified for import to the states than Land Rover should be able to also. I assume they think that diesels would not sell well enough here to justify the cost of making the changes. They should take a look at the full size truck market if there is any question about how well Americans accept diesels. At one point, 75% of all Dodge trucks sold were equipped with the Cummins turbo diesel. That's a huge number. I get the impression that if Land Rover brought diesels over here they would sell like hot cakes. I'd buy one, especially if I could tow my trailer loaded to its 7000 gross with it.

As I have said multiple times I work in the oilfield and therefore support drilling. It provides me with a pretty comfortable life but that doesn't mean that drilling alone is the solution to all our problems. And banning drilling, coal mining and nuclear power is not the answer either. I will agree with anyone that says we need to develop alternative energy sources. But we can't just quit with all the current sources of energy until those other sources are developed. The human race does need to survive or this whole discussion is moot. We do need to protect this planet until we can figure out how to get a Land Rover to Mars.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in East Tennessee there is apparently a gas shortage that I am assuming goes along with the hurricane/s. Last night a gal of premium was approx $3.83 and this morning it is $4.35. I think the media hypes up the problem to such an extent that they become the problem. We had the local news saying we should fill up everything and the gas station owners saying just fill up like normal or they will run out of gas. Most of our stations are running dry because I live next to the country's most visted national park (Smokies) and we are currently having a rod run (aka a huge clusterf**k or cars and people) Here's to progress!!

Old 09-12-2008, 03:22 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in Dallas it just made the 30 cent increase in fuel.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Monday it was as low as 3.30 and today I have seen 4.35 at some places, and other places are limiting people to 10 gallons per car. 10 gallons would not get me out of the county. To top things off people around here are freaking out and running to fill up causing all kinds of problems. Glad I packed 42 gallons in the Excursion on Monday and parked the premium drinking Disco for a few days.

This is in North Georgia

Old 09-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Why do you have a Excursion AND a Disco?

Old 09-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, all of my vehicles have full tanks now, and all but a couple of the gas stations in my county in Western North Carolina are bone dry. The couple of stations that still have gas have lines of cars waiting to fill up on that sludge that's left at the bottom. It's madness.

I'm glad I have the Disco, because it's got a lot of premium gas in it that I can siphon out and put in my 80 mpg motorcycle if need be.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:08 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Different Drummer, as you know Im right down the highway from you, and we are out of gas everywhere in south Asheville. On the way home every place that had gas leftwas $4.75!!!! and to add to that they would only let people get $15 bucks worth.Luckily i filled up yesterday....Ingles gas stations told us if they even get another round of fuel soonits going to be $5.00+. The governor said prices should NOT be more than .30 higher than wholesale... Price gouging anyone??? haha even thoughtoday the price ber barrel of oil dropped below $100 for the first time in a long while..

Oh and to add to the drilling debate, did anyone notice that as SOON as we starting seriously talking about drilling for oil, the prices of foriegn oil droped almost same day? When president Bush was urging congress to lift the ban the middle east was shaking in their shoes. If we were able to drill for a significant amount of oil, the middle east would be screwed and they know it. It happened in the 70's too (break out those history books) and we can make it happen again. Drill drill drill!! Dont get me wrong, we HAVE to push for alternatives, im talking wind and whatever else we can come up with.Soon Oil should be a thing of the past, but until that day we need to do everything we can to get our own oil and fast.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Team Owner

It takes 3 years to get a oil rig up and running. If we start drilling tommorrow we will be no better off than we are now.
Reduce the demand for gas and the price will drop. The proof is in your town.
The Pickens ad's say that we have 3% of the worlds oil supply and yet we use 25% of it. So how long will that 3% last?
We will not develop alternative energy until we are out of oil.
So you guys are right, drill drill drill.

Cam and Drummer-You guys arent being hit with a hurricane, so what is all the panic about? I dont get it. Clue me in please.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, gas up here went from approx$4.65 a u.s gallon, to $5.55 a u.s gallon and that's for regular... overnight !! And Ike won't be seen here, and most of your gas comes from here!!!!. So none of this crap should affect us. But we get ripped much more than you guys.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Team Owner

Yes you guys do Dan. I dont get it either. We have two refineries, Detroit and Chicago but yet our gas goes up to.
Its one big conspericy.

Quick Reply: Was told that the Texas Refineries Closing due to IKE