Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this too much work to take on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 07:09 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this too much work to take on?

Still on the prowl for the right D2 purchase. I got some info back from a guy on a tan 1999 D2. Here's the details:
- 209,000 miles, clean title
- Says it runs great/drives great
- The pics provided show the exterior looking in great condition
- Interior condition is great with exception on small tear on passenger seat
- Front passenger window regulator not working well (motor fine but only rolls up/down couple inches)
- Water hoses and thermostat just replaced
- Traction Control light on, and another light on as well but he couldn't remember which one at the time
- Quote from the guy: "Tiny exhaust manifold leak, but you have to open hood to hear it"
- Quote from the guy: "Leaks some oil"
- Brand new alternator
- 2 new pulleys
- $1500 OBO

So, what do you all think about this one? It sounds very similar to so many common D2 issues iv'e read about. With the issues listed does this sound like too much of an undertaking, given the price? Feel like I could probably offer a decent bit less than the asking price.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

Gotta go look at it and see whats up

Old 01-04-2019, 08:05 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

A lot of Ticky tack fixes, but a realistic price. I’d really want to drive it and see how it runs for myself, also bring an obdII tool to see if any codes are popping up, and to diagnose the TC issue.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

$1.500 OBO...offer $1,000.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:49 PM
Drifting

Ok cool. So it’s sounding like getting it for a low price (around $1000) might be worth it. After all, one goal of this purchase is for me to learn more about auto repair. I’ve done minor work on atv’s, side by sides, and minor small engine stuff but I’ve always wanted to be able to work on automobiles.

What type of repairs are you all thinking might be required for the exhaust manifold leak and oil leak?

Old 01-04-2019, 08:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Manifold is easy. It's either gaskets or better yet, and more common, loose bolts.

Windows are easy to fix, panel cards come off easily.

The Amigos may be a more difficult/expensive fix, but may just be a speed sensor/hub

Old 01-04-2019, 09:09 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Twangin
Ok cool. So it’s sounding like getting it for a low price (around $1000) might be worth it. After all, one goal of this purchase is for me to learn more about auto repair. I’ve done minor work on atv’s, side by sides, and minor small engine stuff but I’ve always wanted to be able to work on automobiles.

What type of repairs are you all thinking might be required for the exhaust manifold leak and oil leak?
The manifold as mentioned, is likely loose bolts at the Cat, three new nuts and a gasket will do it. Taking the manifold out will be time consuming, but not horrible, and likely unnecessary.

Oil leaks could be anywhere, from complete pain, to no biggie.

All depends on how mechanical you are, and how much time you’re willing to spend.

Last edited by CollieRover; 01-04-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:42 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well if you can wait til after winter, you will find these trucks cheaper. Once the first snow of the season hits any 4x4 vehicle goes up in price.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:48 PM
Drifting

All good info to know, ya’ll. The time aspect I’m not too worried about since this would be a secondary “fun” vehicle. I would just hope the oil leak, manifold leak and sensor issue wouldn’t cost several thousand out the gate. My mechanical experience is anything from carburetor rebuilds for atvs, mowers, etc, to break jobs on jeeps and f150s, to multiple window motor/regulator replacements and other odd stuff in between. So pretty basic knowledge but I love to research and solve problems so I’m not too intimidated by the manual labor/time consumption this could involve.

That said, I’ve never opened up an engine block and replaced gaskets or done anything major under the hood of an automobile.. so hopefully with some research on this site and a lot of youtube I could work my way through it..?

Old 01-04-2019, 10:12 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Twangin
That said, I’ve never opened up an engine block and replaced gaskets or done anything major under the hood of an automobile.. so hopefully with some research on this site and a lot of youtube I could work my way through it..?
There is plenty of info on how to fix all the issues these trucks have.

But I would plan on having 1k to spend on maintenance within the first month since you will atleast need to change the fluids(engine oil, coolant, both diffs, transfer case, transmission, and power steering), new thermostat and hoses, get a code reader or ultragauge, and fix the 3 amigos.

Quick Reply: Is this too much work to take on?