Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this too much work to take on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 10:26 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stein
There is plenty of info on how to fix all the issues these trucks have.

But I would plan on having 1k to spend on maintenance within the first month since you will atleast need to change the fluids(engine oil, coolant, both diffs, transfer case, transmission, and power steering), new thermostat and hoses, get a code reader or ultragauge, and fix the 3 amigos.
Thats definitely doable, especially if I can get the D2 for $1K. The guy said the thermostat and water hoses have been replaced so I guess I’d be a little ahead of the game

Old 01-04-2019, 10:38 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Twangin
Thats definitely doable, especially if I can get the D2 for $1K. The guy said the thermostat and water hoses have been replaced so I guess I’d be a little ahead of the game
Well who knows the quality of parts and quality of work that was done when they were replaced. Then you have to wonder why they were replaced...did one split open on the highway and the engine was over heated? You cant trust anything a seller says.

Thats why at the very least you need to replace the thermostat with a quality 180F unit. Same if a seller says the oil was changed; Just change all the fluids and know that it was done right. These are great trucks but you need to stay on top of the maintenance or it will pay for it later.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:54 AM
Drifting

Completely understand that. I’d have a better peace of mind knowing100% all of that stuff was done.

As as for a diagnostic tool.. is there one you all recommend that I would be able to take with me if I go test this D2 out? Never used one before but I’d like one that could read what’s going on with the abs light and other light he was talking about, as well as let me see engine temp over like a 20 minute drive. This D2 is 2 hours away so I’d like to be as armed as possible with what to look for. From my searches up here so far rust underneath is also something to look for.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:41 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Get a scanner that will at least get you to the ABS system.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:56 AM
Drifting

I just looked through some threads up here on this UltraGauge (pic below). Would this one get me all the diagnostics I need to know, including info on the ABS issues that may be present?

Old 01-05-2019, 09:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

I would recommend the iCarsoft LR II for $149 from Amazon with free delivery. This will show you the details by running a scan of the ABS & SRS system.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 619 Posts

Twangin, where in North Carolina are you?

Old 01-05-2019, 10:36 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mln01
Twangin, where in North Carolina are you?
Eastern NC, near Greenville NC. Looks like you’re a fellow Carolinian!

Old 01-06-2019, 11:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Twangin
I just looked through some threads up here on this UltraGauge (pic below). Would this one get me all the diagnostics I need to know, including info on the ABS issues that may be present?

the ultragauge is a great tool. i have two (2). unfortunately, it does not read ABS Codes or reset them.

Scan Gauge and Foxwell both have scanners that read and reset ABS codes.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jastutte
the ultragauge is a great tool. i have two (2). unfortunately, it does not read ABS Codes or reset them.

Scan Gauge and Foxwell both have scanners that read and reset ABS codes.
Awesome, thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Is this too much work to take on?