Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this too much work to take on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 08:32 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think I might get one of these scanners to aid in my purchase. Let’s say I take it with me and check this D2 with an ABS light on.. what would be a code that is a definite red flag to stay away from? And better yet, in general what are some of the most pesky codes (with regard to any of the “3 amigos”) to fix (time and money)?

Old 01-06-2019, 09:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

None of the amigo codes are typically expensive. There's always a very slight possibility that the SLABS computer itself is the culprit and would need to be replaced. That's extremely uncommon. Most codes are either a wheel speed sensor, or shuttle valve related. Speed sensors and hubs are cheap, can be a pita if you're not familiar with tools. The shuttle valve fix is called Option B, search and there's a good write up on it.

Another good option for a code reader that's cheap, reliable and reads is the Autel A619, or iCarsoft. They'll be cheaper and both read and reset CEL, ABS and SRS codes.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Twix
None of the amigo codes are typically expensive. There's always a very slight possibility that the SLABS computer itself is the culprit and would need to be replaced. That's extremely uncommon. Most codes are either a wheel speed sensor, or shuttle valve related. Speed sensors and hubs are cheap, can be a pita if you're not familiar with tools. The shuttle valve fix is called Option B, search and there's a good write up on it.

Another good option for a code reader that's cheap, reliable and reads is the Autel A619, or iCarsoft. They'll be cheaper and both read and reset CEL, ABS and SRS codes.
Thanks! Does the Autel AL619 also read engine temp? Sounds like the code issues won’t be too much of a $ issue. The main things I’m concerned about with this one is whether it has ever overheated (he just told me it has never overheated), and 2) if the small oil leak will be a huge pain (he just told me
it does not “burn” oil and hasn’t had to add any extra oil in over six months). At $1500 OBO it’s hkneatky sounding like a prettt good deal.. especially
since it’s one of my top two color choices haha

Old 01-07-2019, 07:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

The Autel can do real time data streaming

Old 01-07-2019, 08:04 PM
Drifting

Think I may have to order one. The guy is going to get it inspected this week so we’ll see how that turns out. Also, I noticed in the pics he sent that it has the Harman Kardon speakers.