Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took another stab at my Terrafirma 3" Lift driveway Install..

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 10:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took another stab at my Terrafirma 3" Lift driveway Install..

Have owned my 2004 HSE7 Disco for a month or so now and have installed the 180 thermostat and changed SAI solenoid and done all fluid changes. I then promptly purchased the 3" Terrafirma kit with extras (from Lucky8) to convert from air-bags to coils. Kit included springs/shocks and sway-bar links as well as spring plates and spring retainers for the rear. I also purchased the Terrafirma steering Damper to get it all done (I've previously done a similar lift on my 2001 but all OME, wanted to try a cheaper route this time).

Tried to do the steering damper last weekend, cant get those bolts to shift..so tried the lift starting with rear-drivers side first. Couldn't get the axle down far enough in my driveway to even think about getting the coil in, packed it in when I realized I wasn't getting anything done without spring compressors. Did get the old shock out though.

Took another stab at it today, cut the sway bar links in the rear...I know, but those buggers would not move and I have the Two that came with the kit, although I admit to not knowing if they are for front or rear With the help of a neighbors 3-tonne floor jack I got it lifted enough to throw the bottle jack between axle and bump stop and get that spring in (on top of the newly fitted spring plate which I had to wrestle with too, those bolts do not go in without an impact gun).

Issue #1 - Forgot the Spring retainer plate...Guess, I'll have to forget the other side too...Big issue? My offroading is light not really rock crawling.

Issue #2 - Spring in, shock on, wheel back on. Not seeing a tonne of lift yet, it's only the one shock/spring but I don't see how my new 32" A/T are going to fit under there..

Does it just need to settle or does something look off, other than me not finishing the other three shocks/coils?

Old 03-29-2018, 06:37 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

I normally use a couple of ratchet tie-downs as spring compressors. I would jack it up again and try to pull the spring tight enough to get the retainer plate into place.
What are your plans for turning off the air springs in the SLABS unit?

Old 03-29-2018, 12:01 PM
Three Wheeling

I didn't have any, lol. The air-bags are out (obviously) and the air tubes are sitting on top of the spring plates, why do I need to turn off the air? Will it throw codes?

Old 03-29-2018, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I use the red LR bottle jack between the axle & frame. Coils will drop right in F/R.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:30 PM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

The compressor will run non-stop since the sensors are going to be sending inaccurate info to the SLABS and the truck still thinks it has to adjust the bags. Pull the relay for the compressor, and then find someone who will lend you a Hawkeye to reprogram the SLABS as coils instead of air.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

What best said ^

And heelllllll no! Ratchet straps as spring compressors? I won't hardly use the real McCoy. That's just asking to get killed. No need to use spring compressors at all.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
I normally use a couple of ratchet tie-downs as spring compressors. I would jack it up again and try to pull the spring tight enough to get the retainer plate into place.
I use two military cargo straps that I ratchet down on both sides of the spring at the same time to compress it an inch or so.
It's a 2 man job and a bit ghetto but it works.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 03-29-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

Hi there - that does not look much different from my 04 stock - assuming those are 16 inch rims.

Join Roverlanders BC, they have fairly regular events. Founders day on the Apr 14th weekend in Chilliwack,you can at least talk to other disco owners and commiserate

Hit Andrew, (ACG) here with a PM I believe he has a navcom

Old 04-01-2018, 01:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Default All sorted

Got it all figured out, thanks everyone! Rubber (Wildpeak ATV3 32”) goes on today! Will update with images once done.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

This is how mine looked with the TF 3" lift and stock 29" tires. Yours looks like it's not HD springs. What are the part numbers on the springs?

Quick Reply: Took another stab at my Terrafirma 3" Lift driveway Install..