Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Top Gear

Ok, so I am sitting here watching Top Gear and they are having a race from Switzerland to England.
They have to drive 750 miles on one tank of fuel using only production cars.
Jermey-Jaguar twin turbo diesel...35MPG
James-Subaru station wagon 4 cylinder diesel...45MPG
Hammond-VW with a 3 cylinder diesel...65MPG

WHY IN THE HELL CANT WE GET DIESELS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

Amen to that... It is upsetting. I would like to know what the counter argument to bringing diesel rovers to the U.S. was. I wonder why they couldn't bring in a few diesel models for every 10 or so gas models. They should've given US the option to choose...

Old 03-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Team Owner

I know the reason we cant get them, but it is just stupid. It makes no sense at all.
They pollute more but use WAY less fuel, so doesnt the less fuel usage offset the pollution?
Or is it the oil men in governmet office? Is it the oil lobbiests? Is it really because of pollution?
I dont know nor do I care, I just want the option to buy a diesel.
And I dont mean a 3/4 ton Chevy truck either. I want a diesel Volvo. Can you imagime what a diesel Prius would get?
Ok, enough rant, sorry.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With all of our ultra low sulfer crap, the diesels won't run. Even Cat is having problems with it....

On the other hand, they have come out with soot filters in the exhaust. That shouldn't be too much of a problem, but you still have noise and stinky...

Old 03-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was watching that same episode. It was crazy. Hammond and Clarkson both actually made it. WTF? I would love to have a diesel Disco.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:20 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i love that diesel here in the USA costs a buck more in some cases then super unleaded,, BUT it is made from the sludge and crap left over at the bottom of the barrel.

you dont think its a big oil plot on the masses of stupid americans? of course it is.

europe is and will always be way ahead of the world in terms of technology, science, and whats best for transportation and energy. sad but true

Old 03-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
i love that diesel here in the USA costs a buck more in some cases then super unleaded,, BUT it is made from the sludge and crap left over at the bottom of the barrel.

you dont think its a big oil plot on the masses of stupid americans? of course it is.

europe is and will always be way ahead of the world in terms of technology, science, and whats best for transportation and energy. sad but true
Preach it Brother!!
You are correct, we are slow to catch up.
It aint good enough to make gas but your Jetta will run just fine on it.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it would be pretty rad to have a diesel... not a big stupid towing diesel... an awesome save on fuel mad torque super low rpm diesel... and the not having diesel motors in the US has nothing to do with the big oil companies.... they make the diesel too... its treehuggers who cant read anything if its not printed on hemp or if it actually contains FACTS...

Old 03-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spike 555. The dude that owns the shop i help out at on occasion and I have talked about this one for hours..... it is total crap. I want a diesel so bad I am about to hop a boat my damn self.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Team Owner

But it is to the advantage of the oil companies to sell gas over diesel, the more they sell the more money they make.
Sure they make diesel too, but they sell less of it.

I want trying to make this thread into a political debate or how good or bad the oil companies are.
Just wish that we here in the US would come out of the dark ages and join the crowd.

Quick Reply: Top Gear