Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Converter / Lockup Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 10:41 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Converter / Lockup Clutch

Ok, so my 03 D2 torque converter isn't engaging. I have checked and replaced the fluid in the transmission case and a new filter. Is there a way to check the lockup clutch solenoid? Or is there a way to replace this part? What do you guys suggest to further troubleshoot this before I open up the transmission fluid case again.
Is there a fuse I am missing?

Old 07-06-2016, 04:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

There usually is a fuse for the TCC solenoid. Do you have a trouble code for the solenoid? Or solenoid circuit?

Old 07-06-2016, 04:41 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by disc oh no
There usually is a fuse for the TCC solenoid. Do you have a trouble code for the solenoid? Or solenoid circuit?
I don't have a code of any sort, just that it isn't working. I can tell because of the shifting that doesn't happen. I have owned it for about 1 week and just now getting around to this issue.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I had a problem with mine where the torque converter would lock up too early. Like, around 30mph. It would unlock if you stepped on the brake, but as soon as you let go, it would lock right back up again. The same would happen if you floored it. It would downshift and take off, but it would lock back up when you went back to a steady speed.
In my case, it was a valve mechanically stuck in the valve body. Which could be the problem with yours too. It could be stuck in the opposite direction.

Last edited by disc oh no; 07-06-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

I can tell because of the shifting that doesn't happen.
There's some TS info in attached thread link. What's your RPM at easy going 50 MPH?
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...id-open-77628/

Old 07-07-2016, 12:08 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by number9
There's some TS info in attached thread link. What's your RPM at easy going 50 MPH?
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...id-open-77628/
2000 rpm.

I have found that I need to narrow down and ohm port 32 on my transmission ecu, but I don't know where the EAT ECU is located. any idea?

Old 07-07-2016, 03:17 PM
Overlanding

finally found it on the rave manual, still getting use to that particular manual.

I tested my lock-up clutch valve and it was tested in the normal range, 39ohms. Im not looking into all the requirements for the torque converter to engage to ensure those electronics are working properly. Any helpful insights would be appreciated.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:16 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by joshrp5
finally found it on the rave manual, still getting use to that particular manual.

I tested my lock-up clutch valve and it was tested in the normal range, 39ohms. Im not looking into all the requirements for the torque converter to engage to ensure those electronics are working properly. Any helpful insights would be appreciated.
Glad you found the box and getting used to the manual.

Your RPMs at 50MPH are higher than my 1800 after lockup occurs in 4th. Is yours stock?

Surprise you don't have any codes, did you also check for pending codes? What type of scanner are you using?

Recently somebody was surprised my ScanGaugeII would even show the trans codes many of which were pending prior to clearing when my x,y,z switch was acting up. Several new to D2 members in last 6 months have thought they had a trans issue because not used to the lower gearing compared to other vehicles they'd been driving. Hence the stupid questions to a newbie.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:22 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by number9
Glad you found the box and getting used to the manual.

Your RPMs at 50MPH are higher than my 1800 after lockup occurs in 4th. Is yours stock?

Surprise you don't have any codes, did you also check for pending codes? What type of scanner are you using?

Recently somebody was surprised my ScanGaugeII would even show the trans codes many of which were pending prior to clearing when my x,y,z switch was acting up. Several new to D2 members in last 6 months have thought they had a trans issue because not used to the lower gearing compared to other vehicles they'd been driving. Hence the stupid questions to a newbie.
Thanks for the reply, I re-looked at my revs, and 50mph/1800 is about right for me too.

Ill have to use a better scan gauge to pull any codes, however my check engine doesn't come on. Would the codes still show up and not have a check engine code?

Also, assuming all those codes are not showing up, I was considering doing a full flush and change of the trans filter. I attempted this earlier, however all my parts stores had a slightly different filter setup and I didn't realize this until I had it all apart, so I had to put everything back together with new and old oil. Either way, the converter was not engaging before that.

While the sump cover is off, should I try and make sure the solenoid valves are not jammed mechanically? since I know they are functioning electronically.

thanks again

Old 07-10-2016, 12:34 AM
Pro Wrench

I don't have a code of any sort, just that it isn't working. I can tell because of the shifting that doesn't happen. I have owned it for about 1 week and just now getting around to this issue.
Thanks for the reply, I re-looked at my revs, and 50mph/1800 is about right for me too.
Unless you take 30-45 seconds to accelerate form 0-50 you will not even notice TC lockup. Verified this evening on trip to store. 2000 RPM drop at 50 MPH not noticeable to majority of drivers while accelerating. It's not a "shift" it's a smooth clutch engagement that needs to be monitored by RPM at easy/slow acceleration.

Sounds to me your D2 is operating normal.

Last edited by number9; 07-10-2016 at 12:45 AM.