Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total Oil/Engine loss Today.. Blown Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:21 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Total Oil/Engine loss Today.. Blown Engine?

Bad day in my 98 Disco .. I am assigned in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Driving on the highway today at 120 km/hr .. everything normal .. then I notice that the air conditioning is not as cool (it was 85 degrees today here) inside the car .. A few moments later I smell oil and notice that engine is loosing power. Look out my back window and see some blue smoke. Start looking for somewhere to pull over fast .. blue smoke getting thicker .. engine less responsive and starting to hear some tapping in the cylinders when I try to apply gas .. No loud noises or bangs .. Finally pull over (less than 2-3 minutes) after initial warning signs. Smoke is pouring out everywhere .. definitely oil smell. Get out of car and oil is everywhere under the car .. smoke was from oil on the exhaust manifolds. Open the hoods and the front area of the engine is clean .. Looks like all the oil loss was at the rear of the engine near the firewall.

Disco towed back home. No oil in coolant .. but oil is empty. Will seek mechanic tomorrow. Looking for odds whether engine is toast or other possibilities.

Thanks.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did it overheat? Either way, it is probably toast. Wash the engine and find the leak.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:58 AM
6th Gear

It wasn't overheating right before this happened, Would have noticed the temp gauge on high, I'm pretty good at scanning the dash as I drive .. After it started happening, I was too occupied on navigating to a safe place to pull off and stop the engine to notice ... I was focused an RPM's and speed as vehicle was slowing becoming less responsive to accelerator. Soon as I pulled safely off road .. i turned vehicle off. I did turn key after sitting for a while and the temp gauge was on "H" ...

I guess I'll find out tomorrow .. Kinda shocking .. I have not had any problems with the vehicle .. Oil changed less than 100 km ago

Old 02-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Drifting

hope the oil drain plug didnt fall out.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the engine did not lock up, you cut it off while it was still running, it could have survived. Had it happen to me on a chevy, more oil and she kept going!

Old 02-26-2010, 02:58 AM
6th Gear

Well, I inspected the vehicle this morning. Opened the hood .. Still has some oil according to the dipstick .. black and definitely smelling burned. No trace of coolant/coolant loss anywhere. Not much seepage around the head gasket covers. Underneath the engine, oil drain plug intact. Alot of oil on the driveshaft and beneath the engine .. looks like this was throwing oil up on the firewall. Attempted to see if the engine would fire .. starter cranks over but no combustion.

Any ideas on what my next steps should be (other than getting a mechanic)? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:41 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If the engine died due to loss of oil, which is sounds like it was well on it's way to doing, my guess is it's toast.
On the other hand, if it's a blown oil cooler line or something, I guess you don't have too much to lose by fixing the leak and seeing how it drives. Unless you're thinking of rebuilding it, then I don't think I'd risk more damage.
I'd start look of another engine if you decide to fix it and drive it.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:56 AM
6th Gear

Well, I really dug into the hood and determined the cause of the problem. Water pump just died suddenly .. I can easily move it in all directions at the belt and when I pour water in the reservoir, It goes straight to the ground in seconds. Looks like it stopped suddenly, all my water left the block .. and then the Oil was left to fry ... Tried to start it and not enough compression to fire.

Won't know the entire damage until the mechanic pulls the heads. Looks like an engine rebuild or replace. Hard to believe that everything could go in less than 5 minutes! No warning on the water pump .. I guess I missed the failure on the temperature gauge.

Rik

Old 02-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like your rings are toast.
As long as everything else is good then a new set of rings and you should be on your way.
But as long as you are that far into it you might as well rebuild it.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:29 AM
6th Gear
Default Rebuild vs Used Engine? Thoughts/Experiences?

I just spoke with my mechanic and it looks like I burned a few pistons, the rings, etc and I will have to make a decision as to whether I wish to rebuild the engine vs purchase a used one (new is out of the question based on cost/age of vehicle). The good news is that my water pump failure/overheating did not damage the block or warp the heads.

Would appreciate thoughts from anyone as to their preference or the better approach (other than costs) .. assuming that I plan on driving the vehicle for the next five (5) years.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Total Oil/Engine loss Today.. Blown Engine?