Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tough Morning Starts

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tough Morning Starts

Hey guys, I've got a problem and was wondering if anyone on here has had the same experience or could offer some advice. Lately, my disco has been having EXTREME difficulty starting in the mornings. When I go out to start it up, the engine cranks fine, but it just won't turn over. I will let it crank in roughly five second intervals then give it a rest. After about 5 to 10 minutes it will sluggishly start up. Afterfinally getting it to start,I won't typically have a problem for the rest of the day (I have only had the problem repeat after it sat for about 16 hours and I tried to start it again that evening).

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I couldn't find the search function for the forum. Any ideas?

Old 01-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tough Morning Starts

When you turn your key to position 2, wait a few second before turning it all to way and activate the starter. This will give the fuel pump time tofeed the injectors and thus ready to fire-up.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Drifting

I have the exact problem with my 98 disco. Very hard starting in the morning, but when I leave work 8 hours later, no problem. It only happens overnight or if I don't drive it everyday. I've seen other posts on this issue and it has been suggestedthat it's either the fuel pressure regulator or the fuel pump. I tried the fuel pressure regular (cheaper than a pump) but that didn't fix it. I have new plugs, wires and fuel filter. This morning I ordered a new fuel pump and having it installed on Monday. I'll let you know how it comes out. I also understand that it is not uncommon for the fuel pump on these disco's to start having problems after 100K.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: paul1454

Hey guys, I've got a problem and was wondering if anyone on here has had the same experience or could offer some advice. Lately, my disco has been having EXTREME difficulty starting in the mornings. When I go out to start it up, the engine cranks fine, but it just won't turn over. I will let it crank in roughly five second intervals then give it a rest. After about 5 to 10 minutes it will sluggishly start up. After finally getting it to start, I won't typically have a problem for the rest of the day (I have only had the problem repeat after it sat for about 16 hours and I tried to start it again that evening).

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I couldn't find the search function for the forum. Any ideas?
What year, how many miles, when was it last tuned and what octane gas?

Old 01-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The number one thing to do/check before anything else is what grade of gas and what brand of gas are you using?
These trucks require premium gas, using regular can cause hard starting.
Using cheap gas WILL cause hard starting when cold, like sitting overnight.

Next thing would be when was it lasted tuned up?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Overlanding

I absolutely agree with Spike555. When gas prices went through the roof, I started using regular gas in my 99 D2. I found it became very hard to start ( in the mornings ). Went back to premium and after a short while starting was not an issue anymore.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Paul, where did you go, you ask for help and are not replying to our thoughts and questions?