Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing with a Disco 2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 11:32 AM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone! I'm feeling a little better about trying this. It's a nicely balanced little trailer - tongue weight should be enough, but not too much, and I've always been a stickler about a level trailer, so will make sure to have the right setup. Loaded weight should be under 4,000 pounds max. That brings me to the next step... My Disco doesn't have a hitch. Where should I look for the best quality at the best price to purchase the parts? I figured I would have the trailer guy install the brake controller and wiring harness. No doubt he'll be happy to install the hitch as well, but is that the way to go? Should I have the guys at my repair shop do that, or the body guys? My abilities are limited; I can't tackle this on my own and I REALLY don't want to worry about losing the horse!

Old 11-26-2019, 11:42 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

You mean you don't have a hitch, or a hitch receiver? S models came without the receiver, most others I believe came with. If you do just need a hitch it is a simple part you can buy and install into the receiver yourself.

This is the hitch: https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9430A

The receiver is what is bolted underneath the frame that you insert the hitch into.

This is a receiver: https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/7475

Last edited by Dave03S; 11-26-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SuzSS
Thanks everyone! I'm feeling a little better about trying this. It's a nicely balanced little trailer - tongue weight should be enough, but not too much, and I've always been a stickler about a level trailer, so will make sure to have the right setup. Loaded weight should be under 4,000 pounds max. That brings me to the next step... My Disco doesn't have a hitch. Where should I look for the best quality at the best price to purchase the parts? I figured I would have the trailer guy install the brake controller and wiring harness. No doubt he'll be happy to install the hitch as well, but is that the way to go? Should I have the guys at my repair shop do that, or the body guys? My abilities are limited; I can't tackle this on my own and I REALLY don't want to worry about losing the horse!
Discos have a Land Rover-specific trailer wiring plug behind the passenger side tail light. You're going to need a powered converter to get a US style plug.

Old 11-26-2019, 12:02 PM
Overlanding

Sorry for the confusion, I have several hitches (different drops and ball sizes) and remember looking to see how much projection I'd need - since it seemed to be somewhat recessed (non-existent?) on the Disco. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a receiver, but I'll double-check. Maybe it's well-hidden ;-)

Old 11-26-2019, 06:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,461 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Factory hitch is the one to get - salvage yard, ebay, or one of our resident breakers on the boards. I would not get the factory euro plug unless the are willing to throw it in for free, just wire to the taillghts and you are good. For other folks on this thread, my original trailer light adapter box burnt out, just connected the wire harness directly in to the factory plug - no problems. I don't honestly know what the box is for.

The following users liked this post:
SuzSS (11-27-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 07:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Towing? I thought they were struggling just to pull themselves along. LOL

SuzSS (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 05:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

I tow pretty heavy loads with mine and feel it tows well, just not a lot of power left for merging on a freeway.

Im even at a disadvantage with a 3” lift and 33” tall tires. I would imagine a stock truck would be great.

SuzSS (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 07:16 AM
Overlanding

Thanks again - I'm definitely not planning to get on the freeway if I'm towing with the Disco! So, I'll have the trailer guy wire the vehicle and he'll know what I'll need for the trailer and brake controller.
It would be nice if I could give him the parts and save on that mark-up though. I watched a wiring video and it looks simple. This looks close: https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9439C I haven't seen similar for a 6-way plug that's for a disco. Does that exist? If not, do you know if my guy can make the conversion in the wiring, or will I have to use an adapter plug from flat to round (would prefer not to)? Would it just be easier for him to use a generic 6 way harness and wire directly, like Extinct did? Sorry for all the questions; I really appreciate the help!!

Old 11-27-2019, 09:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

That’s the trailer wiring kit I use. I don’t use a brake controller tho I should. Lol. The car trailer I use most of the time has a surge brake.

Old 11-28-2019, 06:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,461 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Any Uhaul place can easily do it, they just splice in to the taillight wiring.

SuzSS (11-28-2019)

Quick Reply: Towing with a Disco 2?