Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing with a Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 12:14 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Towing with a Disco II

Hey folks. I just got my first D2. I’m stationed overseas, and she’s happily sitting at my sisters house for now. It’s a very clean and straight 2000, in Kent Green. It’s got TF springs and shocks, but stock size 16” tires. I’m assuming Medium duty because it doesn’t appear to be lifted in the photos I have.

My wife and I are looking to get a small travel trailer when we get back and wondered about others’ experience towing with these. I understand they’re a big lumbering 4x4 and not the best for towing.

The trailers we’re looking at are between 17-24’ long, and between 3000-4500 lbs dry. I’d be using a weight distributing hitch, and a brake controller.

I have a lot of experience towing, so I understand the risks of sway and bobbing down the road. Just curious what experiences you guys have had. I’ve seen photos of D2’s towing other D2’s, but that’s about it.

Obviously it needs to be in the best mechanical shape it can be before we ever plan to tow with it, so ensuring that is my first priority.

Thanks for any insight.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:29 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've towed a lot with my Discovery. I'd be hesitant to tow anything 24ft.
I did tow a 24 ft empty trailer around town, it was a bit bouncy & I'd be hesitant to take it on the highway. I might be paranoid though.
I towed the Alpine & 911 through the mountains with no issues. I don't remember the weights on them. I think the U-haul trailer is 1500lbs or so, and around 16ft overall.
I towed the D2 on flat roads for around 100 miles. Aside from the dolley not having brakes, it pulled the weight fine. I wouldn't want to go much heavier, and it would probably be a struggle with some mountains.

If I were you, I'd stick with a shorter & lighter trailer, but with a weight distribution hitch you might be ok.

Attached Thumbnails Towing with a Disco II-d2alpine.jpg   Towing with a Disco II-d2911.jpg   Towing with a Disco II-d2d2.jpg  
Old 11-09-2017, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I towed only a few small things with my DII and it was fine. I don't think I would tow anything that large with it. The wheel base is so short on these, plus if we are all honest with ourselves the power up the hills with that load would leave a lot to be desired.

Judging by the pictures, I would guess you have 1-1.5" of lift at least.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

I've towed 7300 lbs behind mine and it performed fine, even without a load distribution hitch or trailer brakes. I've also pulled a 5400lb camper, 26', with load hitch but still no trailer brakes.

It's slow going, but she can do it. The trailer length made a lot of difference. The 7300 lbs was in a horse trailer, low to the ground and shorter. I'd pull that every day, no problem.

The camper was kinda a pain. Doable, but I wouldn't want to regularly.

If I were you I'd look at smaller campers with fold out beds. We've got one that's double axle and has a fold out on each end. I'd pull it cross country without a second thought. The dual axle makes a big difference though, I'd definitely look for that.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I have towed a lot with Discos - other Discos and my 21' Chaparral power boat. It tows fine below 65, above 65 it gets a little hairy - the disco gets wagged by the trailer due to the short wheelbase.

Power is no problem, except up steep hills (I pulled through the blue ridge).

Weight distributing hitch will help, Rover SLS system would help also.

Of course, trailer brakes are a must.

Last edited by Extinct; 03-09-2022 at 05:20 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:02 AM
Mudding

Thanks guys. I think maybe I need to just go get hooked up to some loads and test pull them. Having towed some way too heavy loads with my old truck without WD and brakes, I think I know how wrong it feels. Haha. That’s what I want to avoid with the Disco.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:32 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I have towed up to 3500kgs (7700lbs) with my 2003 D2 TD5. If you tow regularly (once a week) heavy loads it will inevitably take it's toll on your TQ. But never force the top end speed, just let it cruise at it's most comfortable, say around 60-65mph, my trek was a longish one back then, around 800 miles each way, so I would allow the truck to cruise at around 70-80 mph on an autoroute but that was too fast. Apart from the modern D3 and D4, the D2 is the best rated tow truck in the world ........... barring none.

TIP: ensure your rear tires are sufficiently inflated when towing and unfortunately it'll use more fuel, sometimes almost double the amount.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:03 AM
Mudding

France,

Having lived in Germany the past ~2.5 years, I’ve noticed that Europeans tend to tow a lot more with a lot less than Americans are accustomed to. The 7700 lb rating of the Disco is great though! Aside from a pickup truck, there’s not much that comes close.

I think speed is important. We see a lot of guys pulling very heavy loads, very fast in the States. It usually looks pretty unsafe. I try to tow at 60-65 mph at the most, regardless of the load or tow vehicle. Maybe I’m just paranoid.

ETA: We try to camp twice a month if we can, but most of our trips will be short distance. I can’t go too far most of the time due to my job. We would like to be able to make several hundred mile trips though, probably once a year at the most.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I towed a big boat.. 26fter

there is a weak flexplate that holds it all together... mine exploded after a long haul with big boat trip.. I just upgraded mine to a heavy duty one that costs about $80..

Attached Thumbnails Towing with a Disco II-img_20140404_125627_525.jpg   Towing with a Disco II-img_20140425_222405_715.jpg  
Old 11-10-2017, 12:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Guys, you know that the 7700lb tow rating is for low-range only right? I.e. towing/pulling stuck vehicles or equipment at slow sleep over short distances.

Discovery 2 and 1 are probably the worst tow vehicles ever, barring only maybe the bronco II.

Quick Reply: Towing with a Disco II