Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing with a Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Koop, that's only true in the US. Everywhere else in the world 7700lbs is the tow rating high or low. And I disagree, honestly. I'd prefer to tow with my Disco even as opposed to my mom's 2013 Tahoe. The Disco tows perfectly fine as long as you know what you're doing and take your time.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Well then I'll just rack that up to more poor decision making on the part of LR. Nothing on the vehicle is adequately built for towing 7700lb for any period of time. Weak power, weak flywheel, weak driveshafts, weak ring gears, weak axle shafts, weak diffs, weak brakes, weak cooling system.... A full size truck should be more than capable of towing that much weight comfortably at 80mph without any steering issues and without having to downshift at the lightest road grade.

now, I'm not saying it wont do it. Obviously it will. but it does it poorly and anyone that tows that kind of weight regularly is asking for major component failure, or at the very least rapid breakdown of wear items.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by cobbcj7
there is a weak flexplate that holds it all together... mine exploded after a long haul with big boat trip.. I just upgraded mine to a heavy duty one that costs about $80..
Case in point.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Guys, you know that the 7700lb tow rating is for low-range only right? I.e. towing/pulling stuck vehicles or equipment at slow sleep over short distances.

Discovery 2 and 1 are probably the worst tow vehicles ever, barring only maybe the bronco II.
Hahaha, KingKoopa, I never thought I'd see the day when you talked so much drivel

The D2 can tow in either hi or low, whatever. It has so many awards for towing in the world as a prime leader in it's class. It's probably why mine covered 20+K miles without a single breakdown whilst towing be it uphill, along the flat or downhill, never a problem, keine.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by cobbcj7
there is a weak flexplate that holds it all together... mine exploded after a long haul with big boat trip.. I just upgraded mine to a heavy duty one that costs about $80..
Hmmm, odds on it's the original flex plate, probably 14-20 years old I'd guess.

What mods has your truck had one? did they contribute to it's demise.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hahaha, KingKoopa, I never thought I'd see the day when you talked so much drivel

The D2 can tow in either hi or low, whatever. It has so many awards for towing in the world as a prime leader in it's class. It's probably why mine covered 20+K miles without a single breakdown whilst towing be it uphill, along the flat or downhill, never a problem, keine.
Lol, well that's the problem right there, Americans laugh at any foreign automotive standards. The idea that a land rover discovery could ever be considered an accomplished tow vehicle is ridiculously comical. It is lacking in virtually every area that could be considered detrimental to highway towing ability, relative to any American pickup truck.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:57 PM

Lol, well that's the problem right there, Americans laugh at any foreign automotive standards. The idea that a land rover discovery could ever be considered an accomplished tow vehicle is ridiculously comical. It is lacking in virtually every area that could be considered detrimental to highway towing ability, relative to any American pickup truck.
But you still bought and own a D2 KingKoopa

The largest market in the world for LR's has been US until recently whereas it is now China.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 11-10-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
But you still bought and own a D2 KingKoopa

The largest market in the world for LR's has been US until recently whereas it is now China.
Didn't buy it for towing lol, that would be foolish.

And I believe the U.S. is the top LR buyer. Trophy wives have to get around somehow lol.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:51 PM

Didn't buy it for towing lol, that would be foolish.

And I believe the U.S. is the top LR buyer. Trophy wives have to get around somehow lol.
https://www.ft.com/content/5f5025ea-...6-444ab5211a2f

Old 11-10-2017, 05:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Relative to a pickup, sure it's not great. That said it's still quite a bit better than most SUVs I've towed with.

Koop, the key is keeping speed down. If you stay down at 60-65 you're not gonna have any issues. Now sure, most pickups can tow the same load at 80, but they're also specifically designed for the task.

The Disco might not be the prime candidate, but they work perfectly fine if you know what you're doing. I've been towing regularly with mine since I got it and I've never once had an issue.

Quick Reply: Towing with a Disco II