Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing with the Discovery.. What can make it better??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Towing with the Discovery.. What can make it better??

The main reason I picked an LR is because of the towing capacity, and the second reason was all the better benefits it had. But the towing was key and I didn't want a pickup again or an american suv, ex: tahoe, or something like that. I tow cars once and a while and needed something that could do that + that can be a fun mild offroader, so I got an LR. To my surprise, the 8k lbs frame rating these have, the engine hp doesn't match that quite well. Also since the D1 doesn't have leaf springs it tends to sag quite a bit with a trailer and a 4k lb car on it.

My question is, what can make this thing be better in the towing criteria??

Are there things that people already do like outfit their Discovery's with beefier springs, that don't limit other things the D1/2 can do??

Is the air leveling suspension better for this or not at all??

As far as hp what's a good money to power ratio people do to make these D1's/2's have more oomph. I heard something about the v8 Bmw 540i/740i dropping right in?? ..I have one, Im about to pull out of a 740iL, which made me question this idea more.

Thx!

Old 06-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The motor will not drop in. You will have to mod things. First, adding some Firestone air springs to the inside of the coils will help when loaded. You can add a suspension lift with HD springs, but if you are towing that much weight, it will either still sag, or ride rough when empty.

You can drop a 4.6 from an 04 or P-38 HSE into either truck with some minor mods, depending on what year you have.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:59 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

What year is your truck? Upgrading to an Old Man Emu or Rovertym HD suspension will help a lot. Not sure if you're looking for a lift but the OME and RTE suspensions will both give you some lift as well as the ability to handle the heavier load. On other vehicles I would recommend a weight distributing hitch setup but if I recall correctly the Rover manual specifically says not to use them with the Rover.

As for engine, I would check in to the possibility of dropping in a BMW motor. Rover was owned by BMW for a while so there may be enough cross over between the 2 brands that it might be possible.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:10 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

BMW motor won't fit in. Unless its a 2.3 inline four on an older defender with all the electronics to go with it.

but maintaining the vehicle and doing a transmission flush will keep the vehicle from destroying the transmission too quickly.

Also towing a car is on the far end of the towing spectrum. Its performance won't be all that good with all that weight.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Drifting

Thx for your replies. I'm glad to hear some info on the suspension cause my trailer was literally 3" off the ground at the hitch with the 7-series I was towing.

From what I've read the '03-'05 Range Rovers have the Bmw V8 motor that comes in the 5 and 7-series. Wiki: "L322, came with the BMW M62 V8 petrol with 290 bhp (216 kW)". + it's also all aluminum like the LR. That right there would be a nice bump up in hp. Anyone know about the '03-'05 Range Rover engine swap into a Discovery or into any older LR for that matter??

Old 06-10-2010, 05:38 AM
Rock Crawling

The BMW engine will trash your axles first and then work its way upstream. Have you thought about calling Great Basin Rovers for a set of their 4.10 R/P gears? The ring and pinion set will get you the most with the least effort, IMHO.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If you want help, answer Tom's question, what year/model is your truck. Also, quit thinking about engine swaps, it won't happen.
Whatever you are driving, new shocks and coils with a medium duty front springs, heavy duty rear springs and HD shocks, all from Old Man Emu, along with one of the replacement steering stabilizers will resolve the suspension issues. Run your tires at 40 pounds, burn only 91 plus octane and do a full tune up along with new 8 mm plug wires and make sure you have all your fluids replaced.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The engine has adequate power in my opinion, if it is well tuned and you are using the correct grade of gas.
You must run the transmission in 3rd gear while towing and keep your top speed at 65 mph.
No other engine will fit into a DI unless is is a Land Rover 200tdi or 300tdi.

You can add spring helpers, under $100 at a travel trailer shop, they allow for stock ride when empty but wont let you bottom out when loaded.
Also tires make a HUGE difference, you need "E" rated tires.

Leaf springs suck, coils have a much smoother ride and your back end does not skip when going over bumps.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Mudding

sell it and buy a duramax...

Old 06-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by greenwade
sell it and buy a duramax...
Can you say CUMMINS?!!!