Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing Question for LR Brothers

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Towing Question for LR Brothers

Hello guys!

Okay, this is unrelated to Rovers, but I humbly submit to the advice of the wisdom of the LRE forum. Here goes:

My buddy has a 2005 Dodge Magnum with the 3.5L V6. He wants to get a pop-up camper, but isn't sure if his Magnum can handle it. His manual says to not tow more than 1,000lbs.

I think a 1,500lb camper that sits lower than the roof of his car is just fine though, and I am positive his car could stop the weight just fine (which is obviously the limiting reactant).

The ONLY thing that worries me, is he doesn't have [D] [3][2][1]. He's just got Drive, 2nd, and 1st.

So, I feel confident his brakes could stop the trailer just fine. (It's just the two of them- no kids yet).

But I'm not sure about the transmission...

What do you guys think?

THANKS!!

Pat

Old 02-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

So you want to know if it is OK to ignore the manufactures recomendation of the maxium towing capacity of a vehicle?

Old 02-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Winching

Yep, exactly.

Look, the bottom line is, there are two kinds of people in this word. The kind of person who takes the written word for truth, and the kind of person who at least considers the possibility that a team of lawyers has required companies like Dodge to under-report capacities to a "liability safe" extent.

Perhaps a 1,500lb trailer would burn out a Magnum's tranny and send it careening off a cliff when its brakes fail.

But perhaps that's an asinine lawyer-requirement, much like those imposed on gun manufacturers when reporting safe limits for hand loads.

I'd appreciate a REAL response.

Pat

Old 02-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Dodge has not been known for having a strong automatic transmission, since probably the old 727.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Winching

I remember that from the early Ram Pickup days. That said, I HAVE seen a bunch of chumps pulling pop up campers with their mini vans. I hesitate to use that as justification though, since these guys' vans are probably on a dead end road anyhow...

Do you think he should just avoid it? I was nervous about the lack of a 3rd gear selector.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Winching

Hey guys- turns out he DOES have [D] and [3]...

Old 02-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say to follow manufacturers specs. Engineers calclulated the safe towing capacity and then they put the label on the vehicle. If they calculated 1000 lbs for example then I personally would not exceeded it.

Just my opinion.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I would look for a dodge-chrysler forum and see if they've got any idea. People do things out of spec all the time, even the Disco's here on this forum! But I would try and get a hold of someone who knows that car really well.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

not to mention that if you overload the vehicle and have an accident you can be pretty sure that your insurance policy will be null and void.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
not to mention that if you overload the vehicle and have an accident you can be pretty sure that your insurance policy will be null and void.
X2 on the above, recommended towing by the manufacutrer is not about burning the transmition or the engine but the safe stopping of the vehicle at speeds, and this can include speeds of 30 mph. To go beyond this will negate your insurance and will land you in a world of trouble with the insurance company and the law enforcement of your areas as you have knowingly exceeded the manufacturers towing limits. Even if it was not your "buddies" fault he/she would still be at fault in the eyes of the law.

Quick Reply: Towing Question for LR Brothers