Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyota FJ62 lover ready to convert!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:07 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota FJ62 lover ready to convert!

Ok, I am new to the whole LR thing. I want to buy a 2001-2003 discovery and need some help PLEASE!! These are the years in my price range. I like the 2003 obviuosly because of the engine and other improvements. I have researched a bit and found some disturbing info with the '03 model. Is it true that LR had a major oil pump/block issue the first year with the bigger V8?? I'm all about regular PM and actually like to wrench and keep with this but in no way am I about to spend ten grand on a "ticking time bomb"! I hear that they have a VIN range to stay away from but have heard that is not to be trusted? I have always loved the Discovery and want one soo bad, but I am scared!! I see alot for sale with Low mileage with blown motors or that have had total engine replacement and/or been overhauled with what I think is low mileage (70-100,000 miles) Is it the actual block the defect or just the Oil pump? Is there a improved pump to upgrade before a major problem? Help please! Thank you!!

Old 02-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Why the '03? from mid-2001 up to the end of the 2003 model year, the D2's didn't come with a transfer case that could be locked. A lot of people seem to feel that the 1999's and 2004's were the best of the model years.

The 4.6l v8 in the 2003's did have problems, but the problems weren't completely isolated. The problem identified specifically with the 2003's was something to do with bad alignment of the oil pump mounting pins on the block, so the only true fix is replacement of the engine. All of the D2 engines are aluminium blocks, so they have problems any time they are overheated.

If you do your homework, patiently search, and get a good truck with service records, you can still find a great D2 out there at a reasonable price. IMO, you just need to be prepared to do a lot more work on a Disco than you do on a Toyota...

Last edited by dcarr1971; 02-16-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I were to look for another D2 today...I'd look for a 03-04 with a blown motor or "slipped sleeves" etc that is in great cosmetic shape inside and out, and then throw a new motor from Turner Engineering in it, or RPI. Meaning, one that has addressed the sleeve issue.

I think that is the much better way to go if you are going to put 8-10k on a Rover. Even the ones with the least mileage and best maintenance records could have been overheated...so I'd eliminate that risk. (seemingly)

Just my .02

Old 02-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pick a 2004, the 2003 has been neutered.
Ditto on get one with a toasted engine for cheap and then fix it.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:56 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
If I were to look for another D2 today...I'd look for a 03-04 with a blown motor or "slipped sleeves" etc that is in great cosmetic shape inside and out, and then throw a new motor from Turner Engineering in it, or RPI. Meaning, one that has addressed the sleeve issue.

I think that is the much better way to go if you are going to put 8-10k on a Rover. Even the ones with the least mileage and best maintenance records could have been overheated...so I'd eliminate that risk. (seemingly)

Just my .02
Welcome! And ^what he said^....there are lots of frustrated Rover owners out there looking to dump their trucks for cheap after toasting their engines driving around with the red temp light on. Also ditto on maintenance records if you're looking for the 'ready-to-drive' version, worth their weight in gold when it comes to a Rover.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:13 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your help guys!! I do want a ready to drive. I will not drive a overheated engine! That being said, Can I expect a defect free engine out of the "danger zone" VINS? I have no problem doing maintinence like I said earlier. Is it too much to ask a 100k rover to perform well? Am I better off buying the '02 with the 4.0? I can go without the extra power but I understand the '03 had alot of improvements other than the powerplant? Maybe I just dont have the wallet for any of these? That sucks, I have always wanted one but it seems like a huge gamble.

Thanks, Groove

Old 02-16-2011, 06:36 PM
TReK

Bought my '02 with 105K, now at 126K still running like a dream....only unscheduled "repair" so far was to replace the battery (knock on wood)....

BUT, I have the 4.0 and you seem to be leaning '03 which would have the beefier 4.6. Depending on who you ask, the 4.6 is a terrible motor or it's a great motor. According to some, the '03 oil pump failure is WAY overblown, according to some, it's actually worse than reported....so make sure to check out the service bulletin online (sorry don't have a link). There are Rovers out there inside the "death VIN" range with well over 100K without issue, there are some that failed driving off the lot (huge exaggeration, but you get my point).

This topic has been discussed over and over on this forum as I'm sure you've seen, so searching might not get you far, but you can always give it a shot with different 'key words.' Good luck and post up any potential rigs up here so we can help knit-pick them apart for you

Old 02-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Buy a 2000, it has the CDL once you add the linkage, it will have more miles but that just means more things have been repaired at someone elses expense.
Then you put another $1000-2000 into it to bring it upto par and you still spent less than $10,000.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have an '03 I did my homework, are their are issues... yes it has 105k the heads have been rebuilt, etc. etc. read my signature. I bought at a good price. You should be able to get on in that mileage range for less than 7k. I WOULD NOT spend more than that. Unless it has been Completely re-built. I love this truck I maintain it like the **** control freak I am. I turn my own wrench and i have a great inde mechanic, with over 15 years as a master mechanic from a local dealership. you can read all the threads but at the end of the day you will still have a landrover. Which means at some point the **** is gonna break. Period. it is a LR you will chase noises, leaks ticks, toks and the stupid things that just go boom. But in between you will be driving one of the most capable trucks that is out there. SO go for it and have fun, fix it when it breaks and drive it when its not....

Old 02-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the pain, I have a FJ80 and it has 310,000 miles on it. Hard miles. But bought my Disco 02 SD last September and another Disco an 01 in November for my wife and have not looked back. FJ has not moved in a couple months. As said just do your homework. I did and both my Disco's are incredible trucks. Love the FJ but there is just something about these Land Rovers. Not sure where you are but Austin Tx has a 03 that need work on craigslist today for 3600. I'm about to do the CDL conversion on my 02 in a few weeks. The 01 had a 10/2000 manufacture date and is CDL capable.

Quick Reply: Toyota FJ62 lover ready to convert!