Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

traction control and mud/hill (checking it)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 05:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traction control and mud/hill (checking it)

So here's the deal I went out last night to try the duratracs and there's a extremely steep hill that's maybe 12' but loose over hard and Kelly hump style so you drag the frame over the top.

Now there was mud before the hill it packd the tires up bad so on the hill it spun so I spun the tires to clean them out.
Backed up a smidge locked the cdl and went up it, the tires spun near the top as the front got to the top then as they helped drag the truck over the hump.

?????

Will the wheels spin with traction control and if i romp on it does it disable it?

Do I need to feather the accelerator to engage it and what are tips to driveibf traction control?
????

How do I check and see if my traction control is working

I don't have dash lights but apparently have a faulty sensor on the left frontmwheel

My hill descent seems to work but I don't hear noise from under the dash that I remember I'll engage it today and see but how do I check that as well.

Thanks in advance I'm just trying to get the most out of the disco and would like to make sure.

Last edited by bullcrew; 03-03-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The traction control is automatic and there is no way to turn it off. It should engage with any wheel spinning half a turn out of syn with the other. When it engages you will hear the abs pump buzzing away and the TC orange light will light up in top left of your dash display. You still get wheel spin even with traction control working, its an electronic lsd aid not a locker. Best use of it is a moderate steady application of the throttle, dont back off when it starts to spin wheel just keep it steady and let the tc work.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

First, if you have the 3 amigos, the TC won't work. When working, you must keep steady pressure on the gas, if you romp on it, it will cause the TC to loose power.
In the case of some one who has added the CDL linkage to there truck, there is a way to turn it off, just to clear up that last reply. If you are engaged and you turn off the engine without disengaging the CDL, when you restart, the CDL,ABS and HD will be turned off till you disengage the CDL and restart your engine.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Three Wheeling

OK so downhill descent makes the dash noise but if I hit the brakes pretty bard it doesn't seem to engage the ABS just shy of skidding.
The rotors are making a rough noise after slamming them a bit so I'm sure brake dust and or wear on a sensor could be a culprit. Any ideas or things to inspect and how.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I thought you were going to call me so I could walk you thru how to make it all work.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I thought you were going to call me so I could walk you thru how to make it all work.
That's tomorrow lol. Been in the mountains today with the family. So don't feel lonely that phone will be ringing tomorrow.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

To engage the Hill decent mode you have to be in low. Then push the hill decent mode, You will hear the ding, ding, ding. Then it will sound like a grinding sound as the ABS engages and slows your Rover to about 4mph. Hill decent does not work in High range.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by bosshogt
To engage the Hill decent mode you have to be in low. Then push the hill decent mode, You will hear the ding, ding, ding. Then it will sound like a grinding sound as the ABS engages and slows your Rover to about 4mph. Hill decent does not work in High range.
Yeah hill decent works perfect....