Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Fluid: From Regular to Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tranny Fluid: From Regular to Synthetic

Hey Gents,

I'm going to have my Garage change my differential fluid in both ends, the transfer case fluid, and my transmission fluid in both Rovers this week.

He said that from the factory, the diffs and transfer case call for a synthetic fluid, but the transmission calls for regular.

I want to use Royal Purple synthetic in everything, but he says switching to Synthetic at this point (both Rovers have about 65k miles) might cause more problems than it solves.

1) What do you guys think about this?

2) Would you trust a garage, who looks the procedure up online, to change the tranny fluid?

3) What weights of fluid would you use for: a) Tranny, b) Transfer Case, c) Diffs.

THANK YOU GENTS! I am **almost** caught up with my Rovers. Both check engine lights are off, and they are running great. Almost there!

Old 04-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

You will be fine changing all the fluids to synthetic, to my knowledge, most all synthetic oils are compatable with pretty much everything out there.

As for them "looking up" the procedure......at least they were WILLING to look, hopefully in an effort to do a good job for you.

You probably can't go wrong with the stock weights of fluid.....I didn't see your mileage...but in my '98 I use heavier weight lube in the t-case and diffs, 75-140. while they are doing the diff fluids have them check to make sure that the vents on the diffs are open ( and not clogged with rust or mud etc.)

Old 04-19-2010, 11:48 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can pretty much put any weight you want in the gear boxes but just note the heavier the weight oil the hotter the gear boxes will run but the thinner they will be at higher temps. In other words if you are not doing heavy towing (and they are not leaking) use the factory recommended 75w90 IMO.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I use plain old 75w-140 in both my diffs and t-case and change it once a year ($35 to do all three)
As for my transmission, I use Castrol ATF.

I am not a believer in full syn any more, it wont hurt anything if you use it.
I would NOT use it in the transmisison, I tried that in my ex-wifes MPV and it shifted funny after I put the full syn trans fluid in.
Changed it back to regular and the shifting problems went away.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Winching

Roger that Phil- noted!

I heard changing the ATF in these babies is a real pain. My garage said "it's not a big deal" and they would just "unhook the line at the tranny-fluid cooler and add it there".

Their quote came back $125. That seems REALLY cheap to me- could that be right?

Also- I think I'm going to do the differentials and t-case myself. When I looked into doing it last year, All I needed was a hand pump to pump it in. Is there a write up on that?

Thanks SO much Phil! I am very excited to get the Rovers in ship-shape!

Pat

Old 04-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Have you read through this Pat?
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23070
Changing the fluid is a 30 min in your driveway job.
Now if they change the filter to for that same $125 then go for it.

I would change the filter too, that will take you another 30 min in your driveway.
You can do it Pat.
Go to AutoZone buy the transmission filter kit for your truck.
Drain the fluid.
Remove the transmission oil pan.
Remove the transmission filter.
Make sure the "O" ring came out too, if not take it out.
Place the new "O" ring onto the new filter.
Replace the filter.
Install new gasket.
Replace transmission oil pan.
Refill with new fluid.
Check fluid level after driving for a day and top off if needed.

If you want help let me know, we can do this together and save you some money.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:56 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As far a synthetic or conventional ATF, split the difference and use maxlife dexmerc. It is a synthetic for the price of a conventional. And definitely DIY unless you have no place to work on your truck.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Winching

My Disco had had 75-90 Mobil1 syn in the diffs and transfer case since new. That's what the stealership uses.

I use dexmerc in the tranny. Change it twice within a few thousand miles for a full replacement.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:06 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Diffs are super easy to do, did both of mine today for the first time sense i bought it a year ago. Turns out that they must have both been done right before i got the rover cus they both had brand new royal purple in them... o well now at least i know that they will be happy for another 40k or so.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco2Fever
Roger that Phil- noted!

I heard changing the ATF in these babies is a real pain. My garage said "it's not a big deal" and they would just "unhook the line at the tranny-fluid cooler and add it there".

Their quote came back $125. That seems REALLY cheap to me- could that be right?

Also- I think I'm going to do the differentials and t-case myself. When I looked into doing it last year, All I needed was a hand pump to pump it in. Is there a write up on that?

Thanks SO much Phil! I am very excited to get the Rovers in ship-shape!

Pat
Yes, it is a real pain. If you are switching to synthetic ATF, you will want to get all of the old fluid out to realize the full advantage of the new synthetic fluid. The normal fluid change, even when you pull the pan, will not do that since there will still be a lot of fluid in the torque converter. They are partially correct when they say they will just hook up to the transmission cooler. The problem is this. There is a in-line thermal switch that stops flow when cold fluid hits it. They will be able to do it, but it will take upwards of four to five hours. (and probably more than $125) You will also need at least 3 gallons of fluid, if not 4 due to the fact you will need more than just what is required to fill from dry and you don't want to be short. When I did mine, we needed almost 4.

Do the diffs and transfer case yourself. It is easy. Just go to Autozone and get the gallon hand pump that screws onto the container and you are set.

edit: btw, take in a new filter and have them replace it while they are at it.

Quick Reply: Tranny Fluid: From Regular to Synthetic