Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny issues - Lost all forward gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 04:16 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Tranny issues - Lost all forward gears

I was driving my 2000 on the highway yesterday night and when i got off and stopped at a stop sign, when I pulled way the truck jerked and continued on normally.. a few minutes later I heard a grinding noise so I pulled over and pit it in park. When I put it back in drive it doesn't go anywhere and just makes a loud grinding noise like its not fully going into gear or something. It still makes the noise in neutral but not as loud, no noise in park and reverse works perfect.

I haven't had a chance to look at it but I'm off work tomorrow and would like to get an idea where to start... sounds like an external problem to me.. linkage or something. Any ideas on where to start?

I obviously didn't keep it in drive for long because I don't want to cause anymore damage if it isn't completely destroyed.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:59 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Check fluid in t case. I'm betting it's the problem.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
Check fluid in t case. I'm betting it's the problem.
Would reverse still work if the t case was broken? Noise in neutral too, that kind of made me think the transmission may have problems.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Get underneath and visually inspect the driveshafts front and back on both ends, look for any fluids escaping transfer case, tranny, front/back diffs. If everything appears normal, jack the front up on 1 side with 1 tire just off of the ground. Engage parking brake, chock a wheel, crawl back under & turn the free wheel, watching the front driveshaft where it attaches the transfer case for transfer case output shaft/bearing issue. Listen if noise emanates from TC. If it sounds like TC and nothing appears wrong at the front output, drop it back down and do the same procedure for the back & see if it's TC rear output. If it ends up being the transmission or transfer case @ fault get a good, used replacement shipped to you for $200-300 from 1 of the forum members or pick up @ your local scrap yard. It would cost a fortune to have a tech rebuild 1 of your originals. This should get you started & rule out something obvious.

Last edited by chubbs878; 04-28-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:58 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Would reverse still work if the t case was broken? Noise in neutral too, that kind of made me think the transmission may have problems.
You don't hear about the D2 trans failing very often & limp mode would usually save it if low on trans fluid or fluid getting too hot. If a TC output bearing goes out it could produce similar results and open diffs with all wheel drive vehicle does crazy things.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:34 PM
Mudding

I have a parts truck with a good trans so all is good if its bad. Truck never went into limp mode so that why im puzzled... it was sudden and out of the blue. I'll inspect and drop the pan tomorrow.

neutral doesnt work either so I'm wondering if its linkage... I did the CDL shifter install on the weekend, is it possible I tweaked the linkage the wrong way?

Old 04-28-2017, 12:38 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by tcr6v1
I have a parts truck with a good trans so all is good if its bad. Truck never went into limp mode so that why im puzzled... it was sudden and out of the blue. I'll inspect and drop the pan tomorrow.

neutral doesnt work either so I'm wondering if its linkage... I did the CDL shifter install on the weekend, is it possible I tweaked the linkage the wrong way?
Oh you were just working on the TC too? Then yes I would suspect something along those lines -- the T/C, not the transmission. Look over the work you did, shift through high, low, neutral, diff lock. I would still be getting underneath the truck looking for leaks, checking fill-level throughout the drive train, running through the procedure i suggested above... that's just me.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by tcr6v1

Remove the linkage from the Tcase and make sure it gets properly into gear. You may also want to check the shifter itself and make sure its attached correctly. I snapped my cable shifting from 4WD LO to 4WD HI and it made a similar noise with similar operating conditions.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:47 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Remove the linkage from the Tcase and make sure it gets properly into gear. You may also want to check the shifter itself and make sure its attached correctly. I snapped my cable shifting from 4WD LO to 4WD HI and it made a similar noise with similar operating conditions.
This is where I'm puzzled.. if the case is the issue would I still have reverse?

Old 04-28-2017, 11:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Maybe, maybe not.
I had reverse and foward gears though..