Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans overheat and wet floor (leak)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 07:47 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans overheat and wet floor (leak)

Hey I'm new to the forum and I was wondering if anyone could help me. After driving about ten minutes the red trans overheat light thing comes on in my 99' disco II. Also, the driver side rear carpet is always wet and the body shop said that there was a leak but that they can't find where it is. Are there any common leaks that are in that general area? Any info on these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: trans overheat and wet floor (leak)

Regarding the trans fluid, I would check the fluid level. We'll take it from there. You may be running low. Regarding the wet leak on the passenger side, it sounds like your heater core is leaking. This is a costly repair. You can check your coolant level to see if your running low. If you are then that probably what it is. Check your fluids and let me know.

Old 10-26-2006, 01:54 AM
1st Gear

jake,

Regarding the wet passenger floor- also check the drain tubes from the ac condensor. Many become clogged as they have a small nipple that becomes clogged leaving the carpet on the passenger side soaked. They run down both sides of the transmission. I removed the nipple so they do not become clogged again.

Blaine

Old 10-26-2006, 10:11 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Jake,
When checking your tranny fluid level, also see if it is brown, burned, if so drain the tranny add new fluid as well as a bottle of Lucas tranny additive. If it continues take it to a tranny man and have them test it for possible internal problems.
As for the wet carpet, rub the carpet with your hand and a piece of white paper, what does it smell like, water, sweat or is it redish in color?
Mike

Old 10-26-2006, 01:36 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for the replies! I've been checking the coolant levels everyday and nothing is changing, its full everytime. Also, I had the heater core replaced in June (those things are reallly expensive) so I don't think that is it. When the heater core was replaced, the radiator, water pump, fuel pump, exhaust manifold and coolant resevoir were replaced as well. The fluid on the floor is a light brown color and it smells sweet but not too sweet, it smells a little like sweat and watermelons. Thanks for the advice about the AC drains and transfluid, I will follow both suggestions when I get it back from the shop (I dropped it of last night). Thanks again, Jake.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Jake,
You have a heater leaking coolant again, I wouldn't worry about checking the drains. Sweat of any varity is coolant unless it is old residue from when your heater core was replaced before.
I would suggest you go to a shop and have them pressure test you coolant system ASAP.
Mike

Old 10-26-2006, 02:41 PM
8th Gear

Thanks Disco Mike, I'll call the shop and tell them to test it right now. My only concern is that the coolant level dosn't go down and there was at least a quart of water that poured out yesturday, although it didn't rain so it couldn't really be that. Anyway, thanks again and I'll be sure to have them test it right away, Jake.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:58 PM
8th Gear

I picked the disco up and they think they fixed the leak. They tested the coolant system and it was alright, and they say the sun-roof was the problem. The floor is dry, but I can't tell if its actually fixed because its not raining.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:10 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: jakea4d2

I picked the disco up and they think they fixed the leak. They tested the coolant system and it was alright, and they say the sun-roof was the problem. The floor is dry, but I can't tell if its actually fixed because its not raining.
You may have lucked out, maybe what you smelled was old coolant residual left in the carpet from before.
Well, lets hope it stays dry.
Mike