Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transfer blow when shifting from D to R and N to R

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default transfer blow when shifting from D to R and N to R

I bought a Disco 1994 in an auction. In the pictures, the disco only showed a minor front crash, but when the car arrived, it had several problems.

The most important is a “hammer blow” that I hear when the gearbox lever is shifted between N to R and D to R. When the shift is from R to D the hammer blow is still there, but it is not as strong as from D to R. When the car is parked, the whole car shakes with the blow.

The blow appears also when the car is running and the engine is not pushing the car. For example, when I push the gas pedal for a couple of seconds, the transfer box shifts down and , the car starts accelerating; when I release the pedal, the car stops accelerating and the box shifts up. When the box shifts up, the blow appears but not as strong as when the car is parked.

Also, the hi/low transfer lever is stucked. I found a page that says that this is a common problem, because it is provocated by corrosion in the lever base, and it is recommended to go under the car, disconnect the lever from the box, and then manually change between low and high range. If it is OK, the lever is the problem, otherwise I do not what to do.

This is the link

http://home.twcny.rr.com/eeibooks/ro...codifflock.htm

One of my friends, (he is a very good mechanic, but does not have experience with Disco) told me that he thinks that the blow has direct relation with the stucked lever. He thinks that the previous owner had a problem with the transfer, and instead of repairing it, the previous owner stucked the lever and then continued using the car ignoring the blows.

Yesterday I asked my friend to shift between D and R while I was under the car. I saw that the shaft that connects the transfer and the front axle had a violent turn, and that is causing the blow.

My questions are: Has anyone here had a similar problem? Could it be a front axle or transfer box problem? Can I fix it by myself or is it too complex and it is better to take the car to a specialized repair shop? Do I have two different problems or only one?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Old 03-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: transfer blow when shifting from D to R and N to R

I've heard that the front drive shaft needs to be rebuilt occasionaly or else you'll have big problems.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: transfer blow when shifting from D to R and N to R

John,
Send me your tele number and a good time to call you. Lets see if we can walk you thru this.
Mike
mikeljacobs@comcast.net