Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case front prop only

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case front prop only

I have done a lot of searching the internet to see if anyone else had a similar problem and could not. My 2004 Discovery only has power to the front drive shaft. It was making a whirring noise so I climbed underneath and found the universal joints on the front drive shaft near the transfer case were shot. I removed the drive shaft and figured I would drive the vehicle on the rear only while I replaced the universal joints. When I went to back it out of the shop it would not move regardless of if it was in drive or reverse. Putting it in park the truck still was able to be moved. It was like the transfer case was in neutral. I chocked the wheels, put it back in drive and climbed underneath to find the front prop spinning. I placed it in diff lock high and the truck is now driveable. Is it possible I have a broken shift cable or do I need to replace my transfer case? If I need to replace the transfer case, how hard of a job is that? I haven't found any information on this situation where there is only power to the front. I am assuming that is why my universal joints went out because all the power is through the front only.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Did you have yor t/case locked, if not you won't move.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont think anything is wrong. This repair is one of the top 3 most common repairs that have to be done. The U-joints in the front prop shaft are not greasable from the factory, so over time they fail due to getting cooked by the exhuast system every time you drive the truck. Be glad you noticed this problem before one of those U-Joints failed completely and let the shaft break free and knock a hole in your transmission as they are known to do! This is a MUST DO REPAIR for these trucks. Make sure that you have all 3 U-Joints replaced with ones that have grease fittings on them, and have the centering ball replaced as well. The front propshaft on these trucks is a rather complex device as far as drive shafts go. Lots of people just replace them completely with an after market one. There's a few people on here that sell them.

Anyways back to your question. The transfer case/4x4 system in these trucks are very different from most 4x4 setups. It is not possible for the propshaft to be disconnected and the truck still drive around unless you have the Transfer case CDL locked in. Ive seen lots of people have to drive their Disco around with the CDL locked while their front prop shaft is out and being rebuilt. Your lucky you have '04 and have this option. The 2002 & 2003 didnt have the CDL, but the 99, 2000 & early 2001's have it, but we have to use a 10mm wrench to turn the actuator on the transfercase to lock the CDL unless the owners have installed a '04 linkage/4x4 shifter.

I'll let Disco Mike explain to you how the Rover 4x4 system works! As I dont completely understand it myself. I do know that your situation is normal though. Nothing is broken or needs replaced except your front propshaft U-joints and Centering Ball. Once you gt that front propshaft back in everything will be back to normal. You were never driving around as front wheel drive only. No worries.

Last edited by kfx4001442; 12-30-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you were researching any of that info did you read about center locking diff lever? On your 4 hi/lo lever is also your CDL you must move that to lock and then you will have the ability to move your truck again like you do now and that's how its supposed to work! So nothing is wrong at all except you need a new upgraded prop shaft? Let me know if I can help with that! If you choose to rebuild on your own do not use Chinese parts to do it.

Last edited by lr2001silver; 12-30-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
do you need a new upgraded prop shaft?
how much are the shafts?

Old 12-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Overlanding

Disco Mike, I engaged the CDL and that is how I was able to get the vehicle moving again. If I unlock the CDL then the rear driveshaft has no power.

KFX4001442, if that is the case then the Disco transfer case is unlike any of the other four wheel drive vehicles I have owned. If this is normal then that is great news. I just don't want to put the truck back in service with new universal joints and be front wheel drive only.

LR2001silver, it is a 2004 Discovery II. It didn't damage the drive shaft, just the u joints. I got lucky there.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Chris

Old 12-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The factory drive shaft is weak and not made to take a beating if you intend to off road at all and did you understand about Chinese universal joints and centering ball??? You need to get out a D II manual and read up on it quite a bit.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Overlanding

I just spent the last few hours reading up some more. It has about 150,000 miles on it and only sees some florida sugar sand on forest trails when we go hiking or biking in the woods. So nothing too harsh. After reading up I am convinced to not go with the chinese U joints. I also searched "driving without a front drive shaft" and got my answer that this is normal for this vehicle to have no power without the diff lock engaged.

Thank you for the reassurance that this is normal and for the replies.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The center diff works just like an open diff when it isn't locked. If there's no torque at one output (your front in this case) all the power goes to it and none to the one with torque at it (the rear one). When you lock the center diff then power is 50/50 front rear regardless of the torque in the drivelines.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Overlanding

fivespddisco, he is asking $300 for his front prop. He has an ebay account or you can pay him directly through paypal. I just ordered one from him today. I will post back up here when I receive it to let everyone know how it went.

Quick Reply: Transfer case front prop only