Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 11:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Transfer case issue

During our recent trip I thought the usual noise from the truck seemed to have a slightly different sound, but only while it was in motion. My best guess was the sound was coming from either the front or the transmission area. Just got a chance to check it out. I jacked all 4 wheels off the ground and checked the hubs which seemed fine. Both driveshafts were rebuilt recently and also seemed fine. I let it idle and put it in D. The rear axle seemed normal but the front wheel(s) was barely turning and then completely stopped. Looking under I could see the front driveshaft was not turning either. The T-case has done almost 200K and the T-case oil was changed a few thousand miles ago. A few questions:

1. Other than replacing the T-case, is there anything else to check?
2. Should I dismatle and try to repair my T-case or just replace it with a used or rebuilt unit?
3. Thoughts on putting some limited (less than 100) street and highway miles before I replace/repair it?

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

Old 06-24-2021, 03:10 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

If the transfer case was unlocked when you were running your test, then I would not take the front driveshaft stopping as a definitive indication that anything is wrong. An unlocked case is supposed to allow one axle to completely lose power.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

I THINK the axle that doesn’t turn when unlocked would be the rear?

did you lock the transfer case and test again?

Old 06-24-2021, 08:07 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

Pretty sure that either driveshaft will stop when the case is unlocked.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:22 AM
Three Wheeling

I will try the test again this evening with the transfer case locked and report back. Thanks for the replies!

Old 06-24-2021, 11:12 PM
Three Wheeling

With the car still up on stands I locked the center diff and everything looks like it it is operating normally with both axles turning. I could not hear the noise (very subtle, maybe like a bearing going bad?) I heard previously. I did try having my wife drive(slowly!) around a large parking lot while I crouched on the rock sliders on both side as well as the front bumper and still couldn't hear the noise. The wife thinks I may be hearing things. What are the sounds of a CV joint going bad?

I do appreciate the help. I should have realized that without the center diff locked that one of the axles wouldn't receive power.

Old 06-25-2021, 03:35 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Usually, the first signs of a C/V joint going bad...is a popping noise while turning, full lock (steering wheel turned hard/held in one direction).
Me, l'd pull front shaft and see if that changes anything. Nowadays, recently rebuilt or replaced...means nothing to me. Do you feel any unusual movement in output and input yokes of transfer and axles?

You really didn't give a good description of noise, just said it sounds different. So, knowing if it is a rotational noise (changes with speed), whining noise or slight grinding, happens more while turning, happens at one speed more than another or is constant...might give us a better clue.

Trans fluid been checked recently?

The following users liked this post:
mollusc (06-25-2021)