Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case Leaking Gear Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 03:35 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case Leak

I would agree with Bundu and do it myself if it were not for the fact that I just drove this truck up to Colorado Springs from Texas to deliver it to my son at the Air Force Academy. It will be going in to the shop to replace the seal and repair the root cause on Saturday. On the way up to CS last weekend it also revealed the dreaded three amigos warning lights. After each stop to fill up they went away and then after about and hour or two on the road they would show up again. When the truck goes into the shop I will have them read the codes and then decide what the course of action will be. I have read the write-up on wiring the Shuttle Valve Switch (great write-up and how to) and would love to repair it myself as that will most likely end up being the culprit. If the SVS is the issue I plan to see if the shop would wire the switch the same way the article describes or fly up on a Non-Rev flight and do it myself on a weekend. Need to see which is cheaper. Thanks again for all the comments.

Relative to the transfer case leak, have a lot of you experienced this in your trucks at 100K or higher mileage?

Old 04-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your 3 amigos is a soft fault, not the SVS shuttle valve issue IMO. Maybe squeaky or dusty brake pads? If the 3 lights go off when you stop then it's not the ground fault. The only way to be sure is by reading the ABS codes.
All the transfer cases leak at 100K, that's just about a given. It's just a matter of how bad they leak.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 PM
8th Gear

The brakes were replaced before I left on the trip and the rotors were turned. The brakes don't squeak at all. If you are correct and the soft fault is created by dusty brakes what is the solution? Thanks for your opinions by the way.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Winching

The trick is to use quality ceramic brake pads like Akebono, they are virtually dustless. The ABS sensors don't like dust, trust me I have already been through this.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:07 PM
8th Gear

To test your theory can you simply brush the dust off the area around the sensor and see if takes a while for the amigos to show back up? I don't plan on doing anythng until I see the codes but am curious about the dust issue. What will the code be to indicate a dusty sensor situation? Thanks for your help and knowledge.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Winching

Unfortunately the regular code scanners can't read ABS codes. You would have to buy a special scanner for around $159 and that is on sale.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:48 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can wash the brake dust off, just whack it with some degreaser and a pressure washer.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:58 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by HemiCrew
The brakes were replaced before I left on the trip and the rotors were turned. The brakes don't squeak at all. If you are correct and the soft fault is created by dusty brakes what is the solution? Thanks for your opinions by the way.
I don't think turning these rotors are a good idea. They are already too thin. I'm actually surprised you found someone who would.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:43 PM
3rd Gear

I know when I take the fill plug of my disco the tranny fluid pours out if the rover isnt running. would you guys recomend adding the white sheperd while the truck is at an incline, or should I add the white sheperd while the truck is running as well?

Old 08-02-2011, 09:24 PM
4wd Low

Have you checked to see if the vent tube for the t/case is clogged?

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Leaking Gear Oil